Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning bore with steel rod
 Login/Join

posted
Just got a new .17hmr rifle. Never had anything this small so got a new cleaning kit with rod. The rod is steel and I am wondering if I should be using a steel rod? On the one hand I think they wouldn't sell a steel rod if it was harmful. And I'm just over reacting. On the other hand, I don't want to damage a new gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually a soft aluminum or brass rod can do more damage as they are soft enough to pick up grit and dirt which will abrade and scratch the bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Steel rods resist grit (mostly from primers) getting imbedded in the rod and getting dragged back and forth through the bore.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
Just got a new .17hmr rifle. Never had anything this small so got a new cleaning kit with rod. The rod is steel and I am wondering if I should be using a steel rod? On the one hand I think they wouldn't sell a steel rod if it was harmful. And I'm just over reacting. On the other hand, I don't want to damage a new gun.
I would not put anything in any rifle/handgun bore that was approaching the same hardness as the barrels, Get yourself a Dewey carbon rod for your .17, just wipe clean with a lint free cloth on using rod, Steel rods are for battlefield calibre crew served weapons Cool P.S. Get some Wipeout while your at it, unbeatable product!

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote