New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapping barrel w/ JB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago before computors and internet, I cleaned my barrel with a stainless spiral bore brush.
I did not use it much.
But now that I am educated, I have the proper cleaning supplies.
After I clean my 30-06 barrel, it takes like 12 shots to fill the pores back in with copper, and then the gun is a tack driver.
How many strokes should I do with JB bore cleaner to some what smooth out the barrel.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
JB is non-abrasive and will not remove any steel from the barrel. Lapping compounds are used to lap barrels, but barrel lapping is an art form, and shouldn't be experimented with...unless you don't want that barrel to remain a tack driver.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
i usually go by feel more than counting strokes. use a patch on a cleaning jag, and stroke back and forth until bore feels uniform end to end. when you first start you should feel tite and loose spots. might have to play with patch thickness also to get the feel. i wouldn't worry about damaging the bore, like pointblank said, jb won't remove any metal. did my model 70 300 rum and probally took a thousand strokes more or less, but tightened up groups about a 1/8 inch.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A unique combination of ingredients and a one-of-kind, multi-step mixing process give J-B its special characteristics. They work together to cushion the abrasive action; the soft paste liquifies as you use it, then wipes out of the bore easily. The non-embedding feature means there’s no abrasive residue left behind which might keep "cutting" after you’ve finished cleaning.
It is a non-embedding abrasive cleaner and will get that last little bit of copper and powder fouling out, lead too. I have used it for years, but not on a jag, I use a worn bronze brush of the correct caliber, wrap a patch around it and coat it with JB's,clean until you are happy it won't hurt the barrel, works wonders in the throat area especially if you shoot moly..02

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will wear out your arms LONG before you lap a barrel with JB.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
You will wear out your arms LONG before you lap a barrel with JB.

Believe that!!!

Look in Brownells for lapping compounds if that's what you really need to do, if you just want some really final cleaning, go the JB's.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote