New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Grease
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you use grease on your bolt action & leverguns?Where do you grease & how much?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Blackbear.
I use, I think it's, Outer's Moly grease on all of my firearms. Comes in an itsy bitsy tube. Works well.
I look for wear spots in the action and apply there.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only grease I use is RIG. On high pressure applications such as shotgun hinge pins I use RIG + P .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a automotive grease, specificly Lucas "Red 'N' Tacky" grease.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=2&loc=show

It is red in colour so it is easy to see where it has been placed in the firearm and it stays were you put it, it does not creep.
One 14oz cartridge should last any gun owner a bunch of lifetimes.
You can reload the grease dispencing syringe that gun grease is typically sold in.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pro-Gold is used alot in the benchrest community

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
I only use INOX and I put a small ammount on the bolt lugs. It is made here in OZ and approved by Dept of Health. What more do I need
Pete Smiler

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Rig and the SIG moly grease that came with my PE90 on bolt bodies and internal threads. On bolt lugs I normally use a tiny dab of GMC camshaft assembly and breakin lube. It's very sticky, stays where you put it and is designed for preventing galling on high pressure applications. A Canadian benchrester/barrelmaker/riflebuilder put me onto this one.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blackbearhunter,
there is a product that is readily available in the U.S called Slicker produced by www.sharpshootr.com same maker as Wipeout! It is aerosol application with an evaporative agent which leaves a non sticky grease which bonds to any de-greased surface,I must stress that the surface that you are trying to lube must first be de-greased with a solvent otherwise this product will not work.
Once applied it dries rapidly leaving it tack free. It is approved by the US military for protecting all their SMG's and auto pistols..

www.sharpshootr.com
www. wipeout.org.uk

regards
griff

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For any grease application I use automotive Moly grease or else a small dab of STP. Both are inexpensive and work better than the overpriced "Gun Greases" that are avaliable. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote