THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Cleaning Forum    Barrel cleaning at lever action without damage to muzzle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel cleaning at lever action without damage to muzzle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I have several Winchester model 95s and a 1886. I'm skeptical of cleaning the barrel from the muzzle. I Leary of un-necessary wear and tear on the crown.
Is there some sort of funnel like protector?
Any suggestion sure would be appreciated.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How much are you cleaning them? Normal cleaning with any rod, will not hurt them. Steel rods are actually the safest; won't pick up grit. But if you are real concerned, remove the bolt. I use the plastic coated rods with the red handles; forgot the brand. I never try to get barrels free of everything; remove the carbon and any heavy copper, shouldn't be any. A light copper wash is fine. Like an iron frying pan, I never want the steel to be down to bare metal. I use RBC, then CLP. Now, if you are sitting there all day, frequently, pumping on it with an aluminum rod, eventually you will wear the muzzle. But that is not necessary.
Or use a pull through. Muzzle protector?

Posts: 17010 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
How much are you cleaning them? Normal cleaning with any rod, will not hurt them. Steel rods are actually the safest; won't pick up grit. But if you are real concerned, remove the bolt. I use the plastic coated rods with the red handles; forgot the brand. I never try to get barrels free of everything; remove the carbon and any heavy copper, shouldn't be any. A light copper wash is fine. Like an iron frying pan, I never want the steel to be down to bare metal. I use RBC, then CLP. Now, if you are sitting there all day, frequently, pumping on it with an aluminum rod, eventually you will wear the muzzle. But that is not necessary.
Or use a pull through. Muzzle protector?

I use stainless rods. When, I'm testing loads I clean the barrel between firing test lots of 10 rounds.
Prior to starting each testing session the barrel gets a dry patch run down.
When testing I'll fire 50 to 100 rounds of cast bullets.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have owned a lot of 95s and 86s; never found a need for that much testing or cleaning.
I can rebarrel them when they wear out.

Posts: 17010 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Use Wipe Out. Even for bad fouling, a couple of applications and a half dozen swipes is all you will need. But you will not be able to use it at the range.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have owned a lot of 95s and 86s; never found a need for that much testing or cleaning.
I can rebarrel them when they wear out.

With 5 or 6 different cast bullet molds molds to tinker with using IMR 4064, IMR 3031, and IMR 4895 I see a fall and winter of testing a head.
I don't have the ability to replace nor the desire waste a barrel if there is a way to prevent it. Thank you for your reply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make bore guides for most of my rifles and handguns that have to be cleaned from the front. I use scraps of delrin or hdpe. They slip over the muzzle and keep the cleaning rod centered. They are not very hard to make.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I make bore guides for most of my rifles and handguns that have to be cleaned from the front. I use scraps of delrin or hdpe. They slip over the muzzle and keep the cleaning rod centered. They are not very hard to make.
C.G.B.

Most excellent, thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bore snake.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Buy take downs:

Most of my Winchesters are take downs.
My 1886,1895, 1892, 22pump, 22auto, 22 mag lever gun, double rifles, double shotguns, etc are take down.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My 1886 is a take down. Couldn't find any take downs in 95s when I was buying.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Here's what I use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...934135808?pid=194393

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2282 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Here's what I use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...934135808?pid=194393

Thank you! As I get older I'm become more bum fuzzled, I become.. Have one in the PVC pipe that the cleaning rods ride in to the range.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Labman,
Yep, I have a couple of those too.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good advice, all! tu2

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Good advice, all! tu2

Can't agree more. Thank you to all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the lever actions and Wipe Out be very careful not to get any and I mean any in the action. Ask me how I know...........

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use by levers for hunting. My 99 savage gets the most work.

Over the decades I have owned it I would bet I haven't fired 100 rounds trough it.

I run a patch trough it before season fire a couple of rounds to check zero. Then go kill a couple of critters

Then before it is put away I run a brush, some hoppes and then a oiled patch.

Put back it back in the safe.

I would guess that is what happens to most hunting rifles.

I have plenty of other rifles to shoot for fun and practice.

Except for my varmint and target guns none of them get shot a lot.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 12 or 20 gauge (depending on your barrel diameter) fired case and drill out (after depriming) the flash hole with a drill that is sized to your cleaning rod. Drill the hole in progressively larger steps otherwise, the drill bit will catch and destroy the case. You can hold the case in your hand this way if you increase drill size. Once the hole is drilled, slice the plastic case longitudally in the appropriate way to allow it to slip over the muzzle and with the front sight in the slot you cut.

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Buy take downs:

Most of my Winchesters are take downs.
My 1886,1895, 1892, 22pump, 22auto, 22 mag lever gun, double rifles, double shotguns, etc are take down.

I have several takedowns too, they certainly make clean up easy.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
labman
Have one of those on every rod including my SS muzzle loader range rods.
I see no one mentioned bore snakes, what is the general opinion on them.

I sometimes drag one through the bore several times when changing loads shooting cast lead projies.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using bore guides on Garands, M1a's, Marlin lever actions for decades. Learn to keep the bore guide in the muzzle. I have detected no muzzle damage above the normal wear due to muzzle blast.

Barrel muzzles do wear due to the blast of hot powder upon bullet exit. Match service rifle shooters have throat gauges, and muzzle gauges. Barrels wear is often described in TE and ME.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most reloading supply businesses have a brass funnel type protector for the crown..MY approach to lever guns, and most guns is the bore snake...the best thing since white sliced bread...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they make a brass funnel to clean from the bore with, but Ive found if you use thumb and finger on the crown to guide the rod, you will avoid wear of the crown..simple and effective..Yes only SS rods but again use a boresnake is the best of worlds.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote