THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning after using 22 rimfire match ammo.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have been testing various match ammo in my Savage Mark II 22 rim-fire rifle and have found that it shoots the less expensive SKS Standard Plus very well (surprisingly well). I have read that some match shooters only run a patch through their barrels every 200 rounds or so, and never use a brush. Any suggestions for me cleaning my Mark II shooting the SKS match ammo? I want to maintain the present accuracy and not damage my barrel.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't clean it at all unless you see a decrease in accuracy.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my match barrel I generally use a piece of cloth with Armorall protectant sprayed on it to remove any buildup of lube at the muzzle and run a dry patch thru the bore that is slightly snug and not tight. Lube buildup at the muzzle end will affect accuracy. Once a year I clean the barrel using solvent and patches, no brush.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't touch an accuracy barrel with a brush. Alan Hall built me a 22 RF benchrest rifle several years ago. He told me it would take 50 rounds to "re-lube" the barrel and get it to shoot again if I even ran a damp patch down the barrel. Those were the days, Wolf Match Target from JGS for $9.95 a carton. Buy two case or more and gret free shipping.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Don't touch an accuracy barrel with a brush. Alan Hall built me a 22 RF benchrest rifle several years ago. He told me it would take 50 rounds to "re-lube" the barrel and get it to shoot again if I even ran a damp patch down the barrel. Those were the days, Wolf Match Target from JGS for $9.95 a carton. Buy two case or more and gret free shipping.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Rich

Do you have a link for JGS?

I tried Googleing them and ended up with everything from Reamer Companies to Storm Door and Airline Companies.

Thanx, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote