New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a New barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a stainless steeel Hart barrel installed on my 7mmRemMag by Hill Country.
They will hand lap and do the barrel break-in for me as well.
Since I am starting off with a great new barrel, could you give me some tips on which cleaner/copper solution to use, and the best way to clean it?
I used 50BMG on my Winchester factory barrel...nylon brushes, bore guide, dewey's rod, etc, and I could never get a clean patch.
Thanks to all!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have maybe 15 Hart barrels and clean them with a bronze brush and Butches Bore Shine every 20 to 25 rounds and have well over 2000 shots down a few of them that still keep me in the running in short range bench rest. A bore scope shows that they are very clean and still in fine shape.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Hello, Wolf!
Had the same problem with my Remington Sendero barrel, .270 Win. I always cleaned the same way you did, no bronze brushes, only pads and nylon, as chemicals CR 10 and Shooter's Choice, could scrub fourteen days and the pads were still greyish.
Installed with the same demensions as the factory barrel a stainless Lothar Walther custom barrel (comparable to your best barrels), handlapped. Break in procedure not necessary, cleaning after every 25 rounds with Wipe out and Shooter's Choice and no serious signs of copper. Pads are clean after a few strokes. I use a one piece stainless steel rod without coating, bore guide. No problems.
Nice day,
Jan

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote