Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning with Windex
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
Looking at a Howa Catalog and seen a article on Barrel Breakin. It stated to use Windex after cleaning with Bore Solvent to remove the residue left by the Bore Solvent.
Has anyone heard of or tried this?????

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you that Windex is an ammonia based cleaner and will help remove copper because of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry use Prolix. It does not contain any water.

Also it does not seem to cause the first round out to hit any different than the next rounds fired.

At least not in the several diferent barrels I have tried it in.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Prolix ????

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Prolix.

www.prolixlubricant.com

Good stuff.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard some of the 50 cal guy’s talk of using Windex for copper fouling because its cheep.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Ever see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"??

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Windex works for removing black powder (and its' clones) residue/fouling, and corrosive primer salts. Wouldn't think there's enough ammonia in it to have much effect on copper fouling.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are cleaning up the clean up residues.

I know guys have good luck with the Prolix as NE said.

I have had great luck with the Montana Extreme Accuracy Bore Oil. It is a very pure oil and thin as well. After cleaning and drying the bore with clean patches, I run one lightly coated patch and then one clean patch and the rifle shoots the same. Or at least it only takes one or two foulers for me.

What I usually do, with hunting rifles is try not to have to clean them until season is over unless they get in some real bad conditions. Then clean them and finish up with the Montana. Then I fire one or two shots off the target the next time out and then shoot to check zero and CBS after it cools. It is usually right there. I dont try to know where the fist shots go that are "foulers" as is just my personal habit. Heck they too might be right on the mark and I dont know it.

One thing that you will see is that if there is any fouling or powder or residue that Montana Oil is so "clean" it picks it up right away. So you get used to how a "little bit" looks on the patch.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Windex works for removing black powder (and its' clones) residue/fouling, and corrosive primer salts. Wouldn't think there's enough ammonia in it to have much effect on copper fouling.

Plain old water works just as well, and hot water works great.
Windex is water (about 95%), soap, scents and just enough ammonia to say it's in there.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Plain old water works just as well, and hot water works great.
Windex is water (about 95%), soap, scents and just enough ammonia to say it's in there.

As does the premixed window washer fluids that are out there. I think you can get for like 99 cents a gallon or thereabouts, dirt cheap compared to Windex.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Windex works well as a cleaner but do not use Windex with ammonia on black powder or black powder substitutes. The fouling of the subs can react with ammonia to produce a really corrosive salt ( I think it's sal ammoniac - I'll have to look it up again) which is far worse than the original fouling. Black powder fouling, by the way, is basic and responds well to Windex with vinegar which a lot of BP shooters use.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Jerry said....

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Ever see the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"??

I thought I was the only one who thought that when I read the title of this thread! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote