THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppes one piece stainless universal rods any good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought one as I needed a rod in a hurry and my dealer only stocks these. Any body able to comment on the above rod? It has no plastic coating.
Thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
We have the same situation with Pro Shot line of rods. Use what is available and oil the bearings well/often. Wipe with patches as you stroke the barrel/clean -- I do this with coated rods too.

2 cents

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons there are so many uncoated rods sold is that a highly polished hard stainless rod does not tend to pick up as much dirt or grit and carry it into the bore from either the muzzle or chamber ends.

It is auppossedly much easier for grit and crud to become embedded into plastic coated rods and then scratch the bore.

It is also easy to see when the mirror polished finish of the stainless steel rod gets filthy, so you can wipe it clean before putting it back through the bore. (It is actually easy enough to see the crud on a coated rod, too, but it isn't such a glaring, obvious mess so more often gets neglected by shooters who are cleaning in a hurry.)

And, I uspect most stainless uncoated rods are a wee tad stiffer and less likely to bend than the coated rods.

Their whole diameter is good hardened steel, while the steel (strong) part of a coated rod may have to be slightly smaller to accept the coating and still go through the bore.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote