New
Find
Notify
Tools

New set up for cleaning. Suggestions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to set up an area for cleaning my guns. I would like suggestions for everything.
Off the top of my head I need a gun vice, preferred cleaning rods, all the miscellaneous chemicals.
If possible I would like to use chemicals that are not so harsh. If things like Simple Green can be used, I'd prefer it.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Tipton Best gun vise, I think it's the ultimate or deluxe or something--the newest one.

Dewey Tipton carbon fiber rods.

Bore Tech stuff for cleaning,Eliminator, lubes, even their patches and stuff are good. I actaully like their rod guides too, but usually use Lucas or sinclair cleaning rod guides.

Eezox lube is great, so is Ballistisol...

Set up some pegboard or slat wall behind the station to hang stuff on.
I've found having the little bottles form Brownells are great for distributing lube, cleaner etc. It's great to use a label maker, writin with a Sharpie or whatever seems to always get wiped away by a solvent. Bore lights from Pelican and streamlight. A couple of big syringes from the feed store are great for taking fluids out of big bottles and putting into little ones or onto patches, gun parts etc. I use the little 'oiler' bottles a lot....

Keep some 'towlettes' for cleaning optics around for when you squirt your scope with some lube or something......

I keep a bore-siting mark on the wall at the other end of the vise, also keep a collimator in the drawer.

Super glue and loctite nearby. Replacement screws on this bench for me.....

Brake cleaner is great for cleaning dies. Use it a lot. Pay attnetion to your lighting for the new setup, where your trash cans can go, and I really like using the BoreTech patch hog, you just screw on a empty 2 liter pop bottle and you catch your patches in there when you push them from the bore.....Lots of long cotton swabs around and such....

Have fun with the new setup.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If you want perfection, think about not breathing any chemicals. Ventilate the area -- exhaust fan? outside? trash disposal? (etc.)

Fish 30114 has thought of everything else. EVERYTHING! I do not want you to see mine, an open garage. :-)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a "splatter box" to hang on the muzzle, it doesn't take long to foul up the top of your work bench with solvent splatter from the bore brush as it exits the muzzle.

Splatter box
Bore guide(s)
Dewey rod (Any quality rod will do).
I like Butches 3" triple twill patches cut to fit.
Gunslick foaming bore cleaner.
Hoppe's Elite Gun cleaner/ Mpro7 same stuff.
J-B Non-embedding bore cleaning compound.
J-B Bore Bright.
Kroil.
Eezox oil.
Lucas Red-N-Tacky #2 automotive grease a standard 14oz cartridge will last a life time. Repackage the grease into 2 oz jar and apply with a tooth pick.
GM ACdelco "Cleens" part # 992872 combustion chamber conditioner.
Brushes: bronze and nylon and ss steel tornado brush.
Wool Mop brush.
Brake cleaner and a large kitchen sieve to put small parts into so you can blast them clean with brake cleaner.

I have on hand every bore cleaner I can find.
Some work some don't the above list are my main go to cleaners. As the other cleaners I own get used up they will not be replaced.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Splaterbox = 20 oz plastic coke bottle and black tape. Leave the dirty patch's inside and when it gets too full toss the thing in the trash and drink another soda.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Splaterbox = 20 oz plastic coke bottle and black tape. Leave the dirty patch's inside and when it gets too full toss the thing in the trash and drink another soda.

That's what the Bore Tech 'Patch Hog' does without the tape, you just screw a pop bottle onto one end, and the other end slips over your muzzle, keeps the splatter contained, and your patches are captured in the pop bottle--unscrew and throw away when full!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm to tight to give Bore Tech any $$$$ for what a small piece of tape has done quite well.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I'm to tight to give Bore Tech any $$$$ for what a small piece of tape has done quite well.

The first step is knowing it! Good on ya! thumb

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Dewey has Carbon Fiber Rods......Tipton does....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I don't believe Dewey has Carbon Fiber Rods......Tipton does....

Mac

You are correct sir--post edited!