New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best carbon cleaner?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best carbon cleaner you guys use?
THx
Elmer

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
The best I have used thus far is wipout's Carb-out. Great Stuff!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
GOODWRENCH TOP ENGINE CLEANER -- 2940-00-123-7195

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/byc/byclb.html

http://www.sdparts.com/product/1052626
/GMTopEngineCleanerAerosol68cyl18oz.aspx

http://www.sdparts.com/product...Liquid68cyl15oz.aspx

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's Elite works excellent and doesn't have all the hazardous chemicals of GM TEC.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

quote:
Remove the Carbon First, then Attack the Copper
Here is what we recommend for an "average" factory barrel. After 25 rounds, or when accuracy degrades noticeably, spray some MPro7 or GM Top Engine Cleaner (TEC) down the bore from the muzzle. (Insert bore guide in breech first. Keep your MPro7 or TEC in a small plastic pump bottle for muzzle application). Let that sit a bit, then follow with a patched soaked with the same cleaner. Repeat. SharpShoot-R Carb-Out and Slip2000 Carbon Killer work really well also, when applied with soaking wet patches. Then, apply the same MPro7, TEC, Carb-Out, or Slip2000 generously to a bore brush, and run the brush through the bore 3-4 times, breech to muzzle.

Allow some dwell time between strokes. Always use a wet brush. GM TEC cleans a little faster but it has some dangerous solvents, so handle with care. MPro-7 is non-toxic, non-flammable, non-corrosive, and biodegradeable. It comes in liquid or gel, and is also sold as "Hoppes Elite" cleaner. Carb-Out (from the makers of Wipe-Out) is new, but looks very promising. When used with a brush, it has removed baked-on carbon that usually requires abrasive pastes to remove.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Tried Slip 2000 Carbon Killer today for the first time... one of the best agents I have ever used.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I've never strayed too far from Hoppe's No. 9. Does a nice job on carbon, starts to work on the copper and smells wonderful.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try M-Pro 7. It is the favorite of several world-class bench rest shooters I have met. It is also the favorite of Ray Bowman of Precision Rifle and Tool, the custom gunsmith who built the rifle for Charles Ballard, who is the 2008 F Class national champion. Those guys shoot at 1,000 yards, so they demand accuracy and consistancy.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's Elite is the same stuff as MPro-7 and a lot easier to find locally, works great, see the 6mmBR article above.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
JB paste.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's Elite. I don't want a harsh chemical for this process.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
There is no liquid (currently made) that will get it all esp if you have a ring to get rid of. Iosso will get every bit of it so says the Borescope.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote