Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber Cleaning?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I've never found a good method for cleaning a chamber nor do I have a good feel for how important it is to get it really clean. For a 270 or 300win, I usually us a soft cotton 20-gauge brush and give it a few twists. Any other recommendations?

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
I've never found a good method for cleaning a chamber nor do I have a good feel for how important it is to get it really clean. For a 270 or 300win, I usually us a soft cotton 20-gauge brush and give it a few twists. Any other recommendations?

There's a chamber brush -- bronze wire -- for the AR-15. I'm sure there are other calibers available.

Shotgun bore brush in the right diameter -- 410 gauge for 30-06, etc -- would get the chamber clean to the neck.

I just use a swab on an eye. And I don't think the chamber gets very dirty. Not a huge concern.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a patch on an appropriate size bore mop on the end of a chamber tool which is nothing more than a short cleaning rod. The cotton swabs that come with this kit don't work very well, but the bore mop works on the other tool very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=109658

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a slotted tip jag,use a clean cloth & solvent and rotate it around in the chamber.Nothing to it!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
For 30-06 size cases ai use an old 45 Caliber rifle bore brush with a clean patch on an old S&W cleaning rod, in bolt actions.
For semi auto and lever actions I use a flexible cleaning rod using the same process.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use http://www.Flitz.com to clean the chamber and your reloading dies.

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Ive had the same question. I have heard that unless you keep the chamber really clean neck only sizing is a waste of time.

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts, I think you got it. Using a bore m0p of the appropriate size to give you a press fit, and some typical cleaning fluids and then a clean dry one to finsih is good juju IMO.

I keep a pistol cleaning rod on my cleaning bench with a shotgun cleaning adapter so I can use shotgun mops that fit the various rifle barrels chambers well. I keep one that I use a little citrus based gun scrubber on, and a clean one to kind of spin around in there to finish.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:

.458 Rifle brush and a patch around the outside liberally soaked with a good carbon solvent.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote