Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaned beyond the norm.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have an old Weatherby that the barrel was getting a bit tired on. It is booked in for a re-barrel so thought I would try and clean the barrel out as much as I could and then shoot it.
I first poured a quart of boiling water down the tube and then spent an hour with a patch cover brush with brass polish on it. I was still getting very black residue from this even after this time. After that, I then used boiing water again and then another hour with bore paste until the paste was no darker than it was in the pot.
I rinsed this out with boiling water and a brush until everything was clean.
I'm at the range tomorrow to see what the old barrel now does.
Should be interesting!!!

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DW,
Quote: "I was still getting very black residue from this even after this time"
I expect you will get the black color whenever you use a metal polish. This is de rigour(SP) when using JB paste.
I recently had to clean a barrel absolutely clean - twice! I used a carbon cutter (slip 2000) twice, followed by a copper solvent (Montana Extreme). I finished up with JB. After the first regimen was complete, I did it all again.
When the second session was complete, I could remove no sort of fouling - copper or carbon - no matter what solvent I used. That barrel was CLEAN. Had I gone back in with metal polish (Flitz or JB), I would have expected to get black color. It's just the nature of the beast.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Maybe the ole girl just needed a bath to get back to where she was Big Grin

Interested in hearing the range report

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once cleaned my BRNO 30-06 back to virgin pitted metal. Accuracy disaster! Took 40rounds to get it back

one of us
posted Hide Post
DW

If you want to get that barrel "perfectly clean"
Get some J&B Bore Paste.

Baised on tests I have done with a bore scope, J&B will "Get er Done".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, assuming bore solvents work, and are used by soaking, ie given time to work, and patched out eventually getting a clean patch, and done over the life of the barrel, why do people need to scrub,polish,borepaste, and so on.

And water? I thought that went out with corrosive primers??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote