Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Any advice on cleaning the bolt of my kimber 8400 classic? Have bolt apart, does it help to let it soak in solvent? Any recommendations on solvent? Any advice is appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If its just like any other bolt you could run a brush down the bolt sleeve with some solvent.You could then spray some WD-40 in and dry with a patch around the brush.To clean the striker spring assembly use a brush-like a tooth brush soaked with solvent and then wipe and lightly oil with a patch.If you have an air compressor around you can blow out any excess oil.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber 84 Montana in 7mm08.

I do not see the need for any solvent in the bolt as it has very little powder residue & Breakfree gets rid of that.

I just use WD40 to get the rubbish out with a toothbrush & then apply a few drops of Breakfree. I apply a very thin coat of a fine white grease on the lugs etc for smooth working - I do not use too much of it as it collects dirt & inhibits smooth movement of the bolt.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I took it to the range and it misfired twice in 10 rounds. First was a straight misfire, re-opened, checked primer, no strike, put back in and it fired fine. Last misfire, clicked, picked my cheek up off the gun to look at it and the round fired. I have never cleaned the bolt, took it apart when I got home and is pretty nasty. Thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put some steel wool around a bronze cleaning brush and polish the bolt sleeve interior.Also you can check your brass to see if the case rims are not slightly bend.The cases should also fit well in the chamber.If this fails check for a Wolfe striker spring.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Thanks for the advice guys, I took it to the range and it misfired twice in 10 rounds. First was a straight misfire, re-opened, checked primer, no strike, put back in and it fired fine. Last misfire, clicked, picked my cheek up off the gun to look at it and the round fired. I have never cleaned the bolt, took it apart when I got home and is pretty nasty. Thoughts?

blast the firing pin assembly with crudcutter and inside of the bolt. Lube the camming surface with bolt grease and spray and wipe down the firing pin assembly with a dry cloth. If you still get a misfire then you have an issue with the firing pin spring. I Would send it back to Kimber and let them look at if that proves to be the case.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You just explained what happens when the bolt is full of old gunked up grease and dirt.

Just clean it with a tooth brush & WD40. No need to use steel wool etc. Any metal could leave scratches that will hold more dirt!

I stopped using grease inside the bolt and for the last 20 years I only use BreakFree. Once in a couple of years I give it a spray with WD40 which gets rid of all the old oil and gunk. Then add some Breakfree. Not a problem with all my rifles for the alst 20 eyars.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
You just explained what happens when the bolt is full of old gunked up grease and dirt.

Just clean it with a tooth brush & WD40. No need to use steel wool etc. Any metal could leave scratches that will hold more dirt!

I stopped using grease inside the bolt and for the last 20 years I only use BreakFree. Once in a couple of years I give it a spray with WD40 which gets rid of all the old oil and gunk. Then add some Breakfree. Not a problem with all my rifles for the alst 20 eyars.

Don't use WD-40 on guns, it dries and gunks up into what is almost a varnish like untreated gas left in a carburator. Use a solvent like Gun Scrubber to get rid of the gunk, let it dry, and then apply a lubricant like Break Free. WD-40 is terrible for use on firearms, save it for spraying on rusted bolts and lawn tools.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried an ultrasonic to clean bolts?

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanD:
How dirty can a bolt get you fool?

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
How dirty can a bolt get you fool?

Welcome to my ignore list Smiler

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you look in the archives you will see a thread on this subject. A wide range of experiences and opinions on the subject. Some top gunsmiths claimed that it gunked up the rifles.

Some others including me claim that it actually removes the old gunk. You have a problem only if you have not completely removed the old gunk. Once the bore or the bolt is completely free of gunk, WD40 is great.

quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:

Don't use WD-40 on guns, it dries and gunks up into what is almost a varnish like untreated gas left in a carburator. Use a solvent like Gun Scrubber to get rid of the gunk, let it dry, and then apply a lubricant like Break Free. WD-40 is terrible for use on firearms, save it for spraying on rusted bolts and lawn tools.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is NO WD-40 in my home !
shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you look in the archives you will see a thread on this subject. A wide range of experiences and opinions on the subject. Some top gunsmiths claimed that it gunked up the rifles.

Some others including me claim that it actually removes the old gunk. You have a problem only if you have not completely removed the old gunk. Once the bore or the bolt is completely free of gunk, WD40 is great.

quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:

It gunks up firearms, I know from personal experience. I once fouled up the action of a semi-auto .22 with it so bad it wouldn't function. It dries and leaves a thick, nasty residue that is extremely difficult to remove. Keep using it long enough and you'll see. There are much better options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the OP, the best method for cleaning gunk, grease and dirt from your bolt assembly is Brake cleaner, it dries with NO residue. If the bolt body is full of gunk, after disassembly, I use a soft bristle brush, normally supplied for spray gun cleaning, to brush out the internals of the bolt body. I scrub and spray until no more gunk comes out. I use a stiff tooth brush to clean the firing pin assembly with plenty of brake clean. I let the solvent run onto a light coloured rag to see when it runs clear.
After everything is clean and dry, I wipe the bolt assembly with a lightly wetted rag with gun oil, I do not put oil inside the bolt, only on the firing pin assembly including the spring.
I do not use WD-40 on my rifles, either. It makes things worse, IMHO.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything in its proper place.

WD40 is excellent for cleaning metal parts, especially for new acquisitions of neglected antiques, and I find it useful to displace water from the pits in my antique blackpowder rifles after wiping the bore with wet patches before oiling the bore.

I do not use it for lubrication or preservation.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MilComm makes a product called Lock Saver. It is a combination of basically Brake cleaner and some of their lubricant mixed in. Best stuff I have ever used.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanD:

I think that is a pretty good idea. I wish i had one of the ultrasonic cleaners. Wise to ignore SHITAWAY. No value added with his posts. He would rather steel wool the inside of a bolt and somehow that would be less invasive then a ultrasonic cleaner. Confused

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel wool to polish the bolt sleeve as they are not smooth to begin with.Don`t use steel wool to clean dummy.I teach you and you call me names.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Any advice on cleaning the bolt of my kimber 8400 classic? Have bolt apart, does it help to let it soak in solvent? Any recommendations on solvent? Any advice is appreciated.

A quick rub with a bore-brush and solvent will do the job if cleaning is going to help.

Federal primers are soft and sensitive, and extra strength Wolff striker springs only cost 8 bucks. Anyone can make a dud spring, it happens more than you might think.

You wouldn't happen to be using CCI primers by any chance?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a new Win mod 70 whose spring went "soft" after about 300 rounds. Winchester's standard spring is 24#s I replaced it with a 30# WOLFF - BLITZSCHNELL STRIKER SPRINGS from Brownells. Now the primers come out of the end of the gun before the bullet.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
dancing

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote