Find
Notify
Tools

Quit my cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Since using Ultra Bore Coat, now known as Dyna-Bore Coat, I've quit cleaning barrels once they've been broken in. I realize this is 1) potentially very controversial and 2) not possible in many climates that are humid. Living in Utah, I can get away with it. I'm not worried about accuracy loss. Both my 6.5x47 Lapua's, one with 1300 rds and the other with 500+ rounds, have not been cleaned in over 900+ and 400+ rounds, respectively. Each is a 1/2 MOA, and sometimes better, accurate rifle.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Did you do the treatment yourself or send it out for treatment?
I too live in a dry climate (eastern Colorado) and might benefit from this. Any downside or negatives?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I purchased the UBC/DBC from the manufacture.

http://www.extremeguncare.com/...n_page=index&cPath=2

I then coated it myself. Very easy to apply with great instructions. John Barsness highly approves it. No downsides, what so ever.

Oh yeah, you can't use any bristle brushes on it other than nylon if you do clean your barrel.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently you don't shoot for accuracy in incrments smaller than MOA......

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:

Well, the math I learned was "1/2 MOA" is less than your quoted MOA. This was one of my 6.5x47's zero last year. Less than 1/2 MOA. What math are you talking about?

Alan

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is always a good idea to read closely before attempting to insult....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and I am going to give it a try. I have put 100's of rounds through some rifles without cleaning it and accuracy met the MOA standards I needed for my task and target. Others went to he## after 10 shots.

I don't clean my guns too much like most people do. I believe a gun is like a BBQ grill: a little carbon gives it better flavor. However, all guns are like women, if you pay attention they will tell you what they like. Don't try to make sense of it; just accept it! I appreciate the info GSSP. "On the ground" data has a lot of value. If you kept a shooter's log, please share some of your findings.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
....However, all guns are like women, if you pay attention they will tell you what they like. Don't try to make sense of it; just accept it!...

I have never heard of a more profound opinion given, sage advice to all. Touche'

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, when I was spellchecking I somehow lost the word "actually"

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether the rifle was sent out for treatment or self-treated wouldn't be the issue with me. I'd have to get treatment if I stopped cleaning rifles after every range session. I have enough problems not cleaning them for the duration of a safari -- but I've never got on the plane with a dirty bore.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, don't clean nearly as often as I used to. I wait for a drop in accuracy to tell me when to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry, when I was spellchecking I somehow lost the word "actually"

You may need a new spellchecker. Apparently, it let the word "incrments" slip through.