Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have never held the popular belief that .17 Rem is a git to clean, but.
I have a new LVSF and I have had a nightmare cleaning the thing.
In fact I dont think I have cleaned it.
Started with Eliminator and ran a few wet and dry and brushed with a nylon brush. Still getting copper coming out showing navy blue patches.
Put Wipeout and accelerator in left for two hours and still blue.
Did the wipeout and accelerator in again for 24 hours. Still blue.
Ran a brush and patch with JB and TM solution and it came out vlackish blue. Cleaned this out with boiling water and then ran eliminator up again...Still bright blue.
Then tried KG 12 and brushed and then left it up the spout for 24 hrs (using a chamber plug. In the .17 you can nearly fill the barrel with only a little of the KG12.
Cleaned this out then thought I was there.
Ran more eliminator up it and yet again the patched were blue.

I gave up....

This was a rediculous amount of time and effort and not feasible to do. My Kreiger barreled 243AI never even needs brushing unless I fire more than 30 shots. I use three wet three dry eliminator then 2 hrs with wipeout..

Confused and a little tired.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Johnny, you're right to give up. I had the same phenomenon on my Sendero .270 Winchester, had the idea I could clean till my 100th, and still blue would come out. Sometimes a barrel is a 'monday morning' one and you will never achieve the results you want. Install a custom barrel (as I did) and you're done. Now after some 30 rounds I only see a tiny bit of blue after Forrest foam application and the second time nothing at all.
Nice day,
Jan

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rods and patches do you use for your .17? Mine is just a .17 HMR, but I am having a devil of a time getting patches that work with a jag. Even the Hoppes patches that are supposed to be for a .17-.204 bore are too big to work with my jag. I have a Dewey rod.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny foreigner:
I have never held the popular belief that .17 Rem is a git to clean, but.
I have a new LVSF and I have had a nightmare cleaning the thing.
In fact I dont think I have cleaned it.
Started with Eliminator and ran a few wet and dry and brushed with a nylon brush. Still getting copper coming out showing navy blue patches.
Put Wipeout and accelerator in left for two hours and still blue.
Did the wipeout and accelerator in again for 24 hours. Still blue.
Ran a brush and patch with JB and TM solution and it came out vlackish blue. Cleaned this out with boiling water and then ran eliminator up again...Still bright blue.
Then tried KG 12 and brushed and then left it up the spout for 24 hrs (using a chamber plug. In the .17 you can nearly fill the barrel with only a little of the KG12.
Cleaned this out then thought I was there.
Ran more eliminator up it and yet again the patched were blue.

I gave up....

This was a rediculous amount of time and effort and not feasible to do. My Kreiger barreled 243AI never even needs brushing unless I fire more than 30 shots. I use three wet three dry eliminator then 2 hrs with wipeout..

Confused and a little tired.

DW,

Not sure this will help as I only have experience with one Rem 17. It gave me fits for some time until I figured it out.

First of all, have you shot it since your "workout"? How was it grouping before you cleaned and how is it shooting now? It may be that you have cleaned it enough. Some barrels just seem to never stop giving you blue, but shoot well.

The one I had for a while was a friends who left it in my care with instructions to get it shooting. I couldn't get it to group, or clean up very well, until I polished the bore several times. I used common metal polish that is used for polishing aluminum wheels, etc. I started with a brush soaked up with metal polish and polished the hell out of that barrel. I then used dry cotton patches and worked them up and down the bore which helped to polish it also. I then washed the bore out with WD 40 and dry patched it.

After the first time I did this the rifle shot incredibly for 15 to 20 rounds and then started to open up again. I figured I didn't have much to lose so I polished it again. The accuracy came back and lasted to about 30 rounds. I cleaned it normally and although the final patches still had some blue on them it shot well. I was not able to continue my experiment as my buddy sold it soon after I told him I figured it out.

There are many that will not polish the bore as they feel this will harm it in some way. That is your decision of course. I have been doing it for many years, on many of my custom, and factory barrels and have not had any problems that I am aware of. Most of my guns used for pds are very accurate and I assumed if I screwed up I would certainly see it.

Before polishing I would make sure that your cleaning hasn't corrected the problem, if even one existed.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
At one time the U.S.Army, mid 60's, AMU was using Brasso to clean M-16 barrels. Supposedly it worked. Use a wet alcohol patch to rinse the residuals out and re-oil.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From personal experience from last week, Dont touch any part of your rifle/bullets with Brasso.

Just cause I could, I polished up my brass and bullets (before reloading)with brasso, made them look all shiney and pretty,needed shades when you opened the box Cool.

Polished off all traces of brasso repolished they were spotless, came to firing HOLYSHIT!!! my nice shiney cases looked like they had been through a bush fire, black soot all over even on the bolt face!
Copper fowling FAAARK only shot 12 rnds, usally its a quick job barrel, hardly fowls at all even after 50, 12 rnds I shouldnt have really even bothered but Im pleased I did, It looked like there had been a biro spilted down the barrel, constant Navy Blue.

A soak over nite with Boretech sorted it out, but it was the FIRST and LAST time I ever clean anything for my rifles with Brasso.

Lesson learnt, first time accident, second time would have been stupitiy!

Regards Runas

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote