Find
Notify
Tools

Dry lubricants?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
Anybody using them on bolt rifles and what is your favorite for performance?

Some are being used in the sandbox by spec ops and our troops and I do believe Uncle has contracted for some quantities of them. I am currently using the Sentry Solutions line (endorsed by Navy Seals) of products on my .458Lott in preparation of next months Ele hunt. The obvious benefit is that, unlike liquids, they do not attract sand, dust and other things harmful to firearms.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been playing with the Sentry Solution products in my pistols, picked up an armorers kit at one of the shows, ran one 1000+ rounds one weekend with good results, have not tried it in the bores yet.. a friend claims less fouling. Makes sense on a rifle in late africa with all the dust.. Paint a rod or bolt half with the smooth cote and half with your favorite oil let dry than roll in the sand the smooth cote will not attract dirt. Seems like a good solution for a rifle bolt and firing pin and spring they do recommend putting their grease on the lugs which could attract dirt and create a nice rouge.
Jury still out good luck

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its gonna sound weird but the best one I have found comes from your local bicycle shop... Pedro's Extra Dry Lube. Contains teflon lube carried in a liquid that evaporates leaving it dry. I use it in all my firearms including semi auto rifles and pistols. The real beauty is that since it is dry it doesn't attract dirt, brass shavings, burnt gunpowder etc and you can clean the moving parts with very little or no solvent....just down the barrel

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use Microlon Gun Juice or Prolix. I haven't oiled or greased a barrel or action in years.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
A good one is Militec and it was available with an NSN. It wasn't easy to get.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a fan of sentry solutions until I heard that a lot of the dry lubes being touted to shooters at the time were made with what was euphemistically termed "spent" moly. Molybdenum disulfide. Then I learned that you could supposedly tell the "spent" stuff--which was used moly from industrial cutting and polishing--by its darker color. Allegedly you did not want this moly because it was contaminated with metal grit. The trouble was that you had to know which was darker and which was not--how dark is dark?

I stopped using it. I stopped using moly on bullets as there were alarming reports about moly and heat and moisture combining to make sulfuric acid in bores. Disulfide means made with sulfur, as I am sure we all know, having all aced HS chemistry.

Recently I started using Sentry moly again--having been shown what is dark moly and what is light--or virgin--moly--let's not get started on extra virgin and like that--dealing with olive oil is for Gordon Ramsey. Anyway--I'm now using moly for lubing the lock mechanisms of my revolvers--it works very well in this almost sealed up environment.

I doubt that many people who have been shooting and smithing for any length of time would recommend a dry lube for rifle bolts. It shakes off too easily and one thing you want to prevent bolt lug and cocking ramp galling-- is a lube that sticks on and clings. You just have to wipe it off when you clean the gun or spray it off with brake parts cleaner. The best place to get the best bolt lubes would be at retailers who cater to benchrest shooters who use these lubes religiously. Bruno - Sinclair- Russ Haydon- all sell it.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many, many years I have been using a dry lube called E&L Gun Lube.

It is a dry Graphite spray lube originally developed for use in "outer space".

You spray it on like paint, and let it dry.

Then you work the action/moving parts a few times and you are good to go.

Water will not wash it off. You can "swim it in."

Dirt, dust and firing residue will not stick to it.

It stays on the gun forever...

You can apply other wet lubes on top of it if you want, such as durring a high volume firing day.

You can remove it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I need to clean out the internals of a "gun" whether it is a bolt rifle trigger group,or inside of the bolt, or the inside of a revolver, or the inside of a pump or semiauto, especially a 22LR, I will "hose it down" with Hornady One Shot dry cleaner and lube.

It will blow out the big chunks and leave a dry lubricant behind.

You can flush it out with Prolix as well.

Those 2 remedies are great, especiallly for dry dusty areas.

In high humidity, or wet rainy areas I use BeakFree or Ballistol.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWO PRODUCTS.

FASTEX I learned about in Varmit Hunter Mag and STRIKE HOLD intrduced by from another shooter.
In eary days of Iraq and Afg. I sent cases of both to friends, both of which proved superior. I have used both in in the Artic and Bearing Sea during the wettest and coldest conditions. Both are superior lubes that will not cause typical difficulties in sub zero conditions. Rust protection. My blued Sako faired better than some stainless rifles in artic salt air. Sand will not adhere. No action issues with the fine African dust.
Both can be found on internet search.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote