Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Blue Stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have several boxes of the older Barnes X-bullets with the blue coating on them.
1. What is it?
2. How to clean it? If any tricks involved..
3. Will it stay in the bore? Or come out totally?
Thanks for your help...

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't remember what they called that coating. It was suppose to make the bullit slicker. I guess it didn't work. No problem cleaning it out of the barrel. Use what you normally would to clean.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
It's like the black stuff on WW Combined Tech rounds, vs. moly-coating. JB will take it away if regular cleaning regimen resists...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot about 60 rounds, as noted barrel cleans up fine. The triple shock is their final answer, for now anyway.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I think Barnes stopped using it because of the costs of doing the coating...and to a certain extent the fact that people were using the load data for the "BluePill" but with the uncoated bullet and getting into pressure problems.

Wish they still had the 40gr 22cal HP...I had a Ruger SS that wouldn't shoot any other bullets of ANY brand into a bughole and at screaming velos.

Not to worry mate...just follow Barnes load data for the "Blues"...it cleans up a lot easier than the "tiger stripe" coating the other Barnes bullets leave.

Hoard them and use them sparingly...they are gold...If you don't want them, I'm sure there are MANY people that would take them off your hands...at a profit to you.

I have one partial box of 30 cal 150 gr I shoot in ONE rifle(300 WM) and ONE specific load(I won't tell) and I keep both for a special "someday" hunt.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
They were the xlc bullets. I think it was some sort of teflon. I was at the factory and watched the machine that sprayed them. The bullets would go through the sprayer while standing upright on a little conveyor belt. It was a pretty cool process to watch.

I've still got 2 boxes of them in .338 and a partial box of .470 nitro.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated above, they are known as the XLC line, kind of like Winchesters Lubalox coating.

I've used the 45gr XLC for years in my 22Hornet as my coyote bullet, and have stocked up with about 300+/- of them.

The coating doesn't appear to leave much residue, if any, in the barrel, and I get about 50fps more speed with them, compared to a 'naked' 45gr bullet.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
I think Barnes stopped using it because of the costs of doing the coating...and to a certain extent the fact that people were using the load data for the "BluePill" but with the uncoated bullet and getting into pressure problems.

Wish they still had the 40gr 22cal HP...I had a Ruger SS that wouldn't shoot any other bullets of ANY brand into a bughole and at screaming velos.

Not to worry mate...just follow Barnes load data for the "Blues"...it cleans up a lot easier than the "tiger stripe" coating the other Barnes bullets leave.

Hoard them and use them sparingly...they are gold...If you don't want them, I'm sure there are MANY people that would take them off your hands...at a profit to you.

I have one partial box of 30 cal 150 gr I shoot in ONE rifle(300 WM) and ONE specific load(I won't tell) and I keep both for a special "someday" hunt.

Luck

I put in a large supply of the blue ones in .308,.338,.375,.458 and .475. I like that they shoot accurately and that you get extra velocity with them. The loading data IS different than with other Barnes products and does not interchange. I do not know why one would want to remove the coating.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote