Find
Notify
Tools

Foaming bore cleaner question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I've started using the foaming bore cleaner and must say I like it. My questions are is this stuff harmful to the bore, if it's dissolves copper what is it doing to my barrel???? Second when I take it out to use any suggestions on preparing it for use???? Any other tips related to this stuff greatfully excepted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i use Wipeout and this stuff will not harm your bore. just keep it away from the woodwork(that's another story!) My cleaning routine is to leave the first application in the barrel for a 3 or 4 hours, patch out a couple of times and follow up with another squirt that is left in the barrel overnight.
no damage at all and no rust or pitting.
Other brands i suggest you contact the manufacturer.
robz

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used most of the foams, AFAIK, all but WipeOut are made by Milfoam, some are marked as such right on the can, none are harmful to gun metal, but will damage older stock finishes and will harm brass, bronze, aluminum and copper. I've got busy (read forgot!!) and left them in bores for up to 3 days a time or two, no problems. WipeOut specifically states that it is a rust inhibitor as well as a bore cleaner, so there's no need to use oil after wiping it out, but I do use Eezox after cleaning.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

http://www.milfoam.fi/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
When you say will damage old wood stocks what does this mean and how do I avoid it???? I have new rifles(tikka hunter) and old rifles (savage 99).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PROPERTIES OF WIPE-OUTâ„¢

WIPE-OUTâ„¢ is practically odorless and non-flammable.
It contains a rust inhibitor, and will not stain hands of clothing.

It is safe for all modern paint, gunstock finishes and steels. It however is not safe for varnish , shellac or old oil type finishes. IT WILL REMOVE THEM.

It will dissolve brass, bronze, aluminum, and copper.

It will not dissolve lead but it will degrade lead so that it can be pushed out with a patch.

WIPE-OUTâ„¢ CANNOT CAUSE RUST.

It will not gum in either the action or the barrel.

WIPE-OUTâ„¢ is safe for all barrel steels, both stainless and carbon steel

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on Wipeout and you will get all the info you need on how to best apply it. We covered this extensively not so long ago.
robz

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote