New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crown is attracting soot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Montana Rifle barrel that has a recessed crown that was cut in a way that really attracts soot. After each shooting session I have to spend more than 5 minutes just cleaning the crown with solvent and elbow grease. The crown is cut at a sharp 90 degree angle and the soot just is attracted right into the sharp corner of the crown.

This is a .250 Savage and I only shoot 40 rounds a session and give the barrel time to cool. This is the only gun I have this problem with. Does anyone have any tips on a light coating of something I could put on the crown before shooting that would help prevent this? Also, any tips on something that would work better than Hoppe's solvent to clean it?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these two experiments to see which works the best:

1) Smear some heavy grease into that troublesome corner. My choice would be Lucas "red-n-tacky" automotive grease. I use it on all my firearms, this grease stays right where you put it.
My reasoning is the heavy grease might with stand the muzzle blast, to stay in place so the powder fouling with cling to the surface of the grease so it can be easily wiped off later.

2) Or go the other way and use a very light coating of Kano Kroil. This highly penetrating oil will creep into the smallest of surface pores and may keep out the fouling.

I doubt both treatments would work together
the red-n-tacky wouldn't sick to the kroil and the kroil would the shut out the the metal pores to the grease.
Good Luck with the experiments.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try the Kano Kroil and see how that goes. Thanks.