New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Copper and Carbon solvent
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious, who has used this cleaner?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use M98 for copper removal, have not found better than M98.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Years and years ago - it was a pain to get the bore anycolour other than green after that ...

Hours of work.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bren7x64,

Could you elaborate on that, I do not quite grasp what you mean? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Okay

I cleaned the barrel as normal and then put the rifle away and the next day noticed that the inside of the bore was a greeny, coppery colour, so I cleaned again -and again - and again - took me hours to get the tinge out so it went back to being not bright green/copper.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that but its not happened to me. Did you run water soaked patches through as per the instructions on the bottle?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly use Wipe Out..Its the best I have used and I am not keen on running water down my bore...

The best coper remover out there is a mix of 1 qt. of commercial ammonia (25%) and a cup of Hydrogen peroxide. I may use it once or twice a a year..Don't let it sit in barrel more than about 20 minutes, then wipe dry, then take a pass with alcohol, then dry patch, then oil profusely..wipe dry before shooting again..

After this application I only use a bore snake between shooting sessions. One pass with a bore snake is 180 patches thru the bore.

I don't believe in cleaning a bore to death, cleaning rods have ruined more bores than shooting them has and a animal has never been killed by a clean bore!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray,

If you are not keen to run water down the bore of your rifles, I would strongly recommend that you do not use 25% ammonia and hydrogen peroxide. 25% Ammonia is mostly water and hydrogen peroxide reduces to water and oxygen. Smiler

I have this twisted sense of humour and, before I moved into a workshop, I worked from home. There was little room in the garage I used and the bluing tank was right next to the garage door. There was no room for a rinse tank. The lawn was next to the garage door and, when time came to pull a rifle barrel from the bluing tank, I would get the garden hose going and rinse the barreled action with the hose.

One day a customer arrived just as I started rinsing a barreled action and the customer was highly interested in what was happening. After observing the rinse process he suddenly exclaimed "That is a rifle barrel!". I then asked what the problem was because I cleaned all my rifles that way. He turned around, got into his car and left. To this day I have not seen him again and I do not know what his name is. Big Grin

I am basically lazy by nature and have used M98 for almost 20 years. It remains the fastest and safest way I know of to clean any crud from a rifle barrel. It is a one shot cleaner and M98 and water is all you need.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Sorry to hear that but its not happened to me. Did you run water soaked patches through as per the instructions on the bottle?

Instructions are for people who don't already know everything. Smiler

I don't remember any instructions on the bottle - it was many years ago - about 20, I think.

Anyway - it happened and it's over and no-one died so ...

--

one of us
posted Hide Post
It must have been in South Africa then. 20 Years ago we had just launched M98 in SA and the directions were mostly verbal. In any case, for those who do not know everything, the instructions are given below. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Gerard, it was as you say - I was given a bottle with verbal instructions that it was a "Boere-Hoppes" and that was it.

Probably early to mid-90's.

Reading the instructions you posted - nNope, doesn't ring a bell.

--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
The reason I'm not keen on water down my bore is laziness, no other reason, hot soapy water with a scalding water rinse is about as good a cleaner as there is out there..I do use in on my muzzle loader..

Todays gun solvents suit me fine..Wipe Out, Rem Oil, even WD-40 suits me..In fact my normal clean is 3 or 4 passes of a boresnake with a dab of Rem Oil on it..All I need is a "grey patch" white patches are for annal persons only! shocker

but of course I shoot mostly GS Customs bullets and they don't foul my bores! popcorn

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote