THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Cleaning Forum    Germany: Cleaning routine with Barnes TSX and other solids?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Germany: Cleaning routine with Barnes TSX and other solids?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey folks,

oddly enough, solids have only very recently started their "career" in Germany.

And all of a sudden, all major manufacturers (RWS, Geco plus other European brands) and smaller start-ups launch their own products.

There is a lot of counterpromotion from the more traditionalist branch of the hunting community with one of the major arguments put forward being that using solids requires a distinctly different cleaning routine from standard ammunition.

They claim...
- you need more aggressive chemical solvents
- accuracy will be impacted heavily if you dont clean every 20 odd shots
- switching between solid and non-solid becomes an issue
- and stainless barrels in particular do not interact well with solids.

Sounds like propaganda from non-solid manufacturers to me!

That is why I am interested to hear some first-hand reports from you shooters and hunters in the US, that have had the Barnes TSX available since 2003 and have had the chance to gain 10+ years of experience with solids and the appropriate cleaning routine! Is there any truth in the above claims?

Thanks so much and best regards from Frankfurt,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original Barnes X bullets had a bad reputation for copper fouling. The TSXs solved that. The rest is unfounded marketing.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fouling is a function of the bullet and the barrel it is being used in.

We have barrels that require almost no cleaning at all, or very little.

We have barrels that get so badly fouled after 10 shots one need a whole week to clean it.

What is written above is a load of bullshit, I suspect it is written by some advertising idiot who has never done any shooting.

We have rifles ranging from 17 caliber rim fire all the way to 700.

All get shot on a regular basis.

We also have so many different factory rifles brought here to be shot.

We have encountered more problems with European made rifles - except Sako - than any American made rifles.

Some European manufacturers have under size barrels, and these tend to foul a lot more.

Our normal cleaning procedure - regardless of what bullets are being shot - is the same.

We use the VFG cotton swaps, which are made to each particular caliber.

Run a couple of swaps with Hoppe's # 9
Run a clean swap.
Bronze brush soaked on #9
Clean swap.
2-3 swaps with Sweet 7.62

Leave for 10-15 minutes and repeat 7.62.

Most rifles get cleaned very well after a few swaps this way.

Difficult ones we run J-B Compound through a few times, and repeat with 7.61.

This procedure always works.

Sometimes it take a few minutes, and sometimes 2-3 days!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Barnes Xbullets and now Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively since the late 1990s. I haven't loaded the TSXs because by the time I exhausted my supply of Xbullets, Barnes had introduced the TTSX, so I started loading them. I don't find it difficult to clean any of my rifles shooting Barnes bullets. I have used a bunch of different cleaners over the years and now I just use Patch Out and Wipeout together and let them sit. I think excessive fouling is more a function of your barrel than the Barnes bullets as already mentioned by others. I won't be switching back to cup and core bullets anytime soon in any caliber. I really like the performance of the Barnes bullets.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience I cannot agree with the alarmist claims of your ammo manufacturers. For several years I have used only Hornady Interbonds and developed a certain cleaning routine for the Blaser rifles I mostly use. I find my Blaser barrels foul quite readily but still good for 50 + shots before accuracy deteriorates a bit. Cleaning requires a bit of effort / time, but it's not too bad. More recently I began loading Barnes TSX due to erratic avaialability here of Interbonds. I found 1) no accuracy difference for the first 50 or so shots, 2) absolutely no problem switching between Interbonds and TSX, 3) fouling with TSX's was very similar, 4) exactly the same cleaning routine is perfectly satisfactory, and I don't use particularly aggressive cleaning products.
I cannot comment on whether solids interact with stainless steel barrels as with the one I have I haven't shot any TSX yet.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, sounds pretty reassuring. Will give the TSX a try and see how it goes...

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a classic case of "not invented here" syndrome

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacketed solids do leave more fouling in a bore than softs..The softer jacket marterial on solids is primarily to protect the bore from the harder substance or so I've been told by some bullet makers??

I do know that jacketed solids foul worse than softs for whatever reason, I know that the bigger the bore the more fouling left, and Im pretty sure that's because there is more material in a big bore to foul, that only makes sense.

All that said, I have not found it to be a problem, I clean the bores until they are fairly clean and call it good..

No animal on earth has ever been killed with a clean bore, and that's a fact I will swear to.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes has a Standard Operating Procedure to clean the barrels in their ballistics lab. I don't remember it all but it's basically, one very wet patch followed by a brush, don't remember how many strokes, Followed by more wet patches followed by dry till clean. Call Ty in customer service, he will tell you exactly how it's done.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Barnes TSX, the newer TTSX and the new LRX. None of them foul badly at all. I shoot them in 375 WBY, 300 WM, 30-06 (2), 270 WBY and 270 Win. Even on a long safari there would be no need to clean them until the safari was over.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote