New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to keep my pistol from rusting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a S+W Model 19 that I keep under the driver seat of my car. What would be your suggestions as to what to spray or apply on it to keep it from rusting. It spends the whole day under the drivers seat. Thanks for the help!!

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
If under your seat is anything like in my Land rover you couldn't use anything oily, If I had to store a handgun in the conditions likely under there, I'd use an ignition spray sealant on the EXTERIOR of the weapon, leaves a very thin coating of a light plastic, unlikely to cause operational probs if used sparingly, & a small tag of insulation tape across the muzzle, Steve.

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A silicone impregnated cloth will work. The commercial cloths are cheap and don't drip oil. Use it as a liner inside a more durable holder.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Eezox, wipes on like an oil, dries to a hard finish. Haven't found anything better to prevent rust on firearms.

Posts: 12 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since i've started using Rig I have no more trouble with rust. It is like Vaseline, and if you put just a little on your finger then rub it onto your firarm, it will leave a very fine film and it is not oily.

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eezox

Fantastic lubricant for AR guns...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote