Find
Notify
Tools

Salt air/Cleaning & Storage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have a storage unit in Homer Alaska. I have left many metal objects in it before from season to season. The salt air does some weird things. This is the first time I'm planning on leaving guns in storage.
How shoud I prepare the weapons for storage in heavy salt air? I will be leaning 2 blue long guns and 1 stainless rifle. Don't want to come back to a mess.
I have used EEZOX with great success. But gun sock? Eezox? Can't chance it. Please help.
Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I live on the ocean and had a problem once with one gun in particular. It got rust on some parts sometimes when left in storage for a long period of time.
I tried Guard it and never had the problem again.

It sprays on sticky like a wax coating no air no rust. It cleans off easy too.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boeshield T9. Fantastic stuff. I used it on a pistol stored on my boat moored in Galveston Bay. Forgot about the pistol and found it in a cabinet two years later. Not a speck of rust.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the other products mentioned.

But IF I was storing guns under those conditions, I would coat them, bore too, with something. I have had good luck with Break Free, and RIG, and THEN put them in a Codura soft case, and then put them in a Pelican case.

I am leary of cases with the white looking fur.

Let me add that I carried guns in the trunk of my work car for 23 years in Codura cases,and some in a Pelican, and never had one rust. I did take them out and use them on a regular basis, but the codura cases did not cause any problems.

The key to success in my opinion is to use the Pelican case.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Saeed's test. Might have the answer you seek.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote