Find
Notify
Tools

Nylon Brushes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted
Can anyone tell me which nylon brushes you feel are the better quality from the following four brands.
1 Kleenbore
2 Sinclair
3 Parker Hale
4 Bruno
I have not personally tried all the above brands myself, and I don't want to start any heated discussions just want to get a feel on what people think of the different makes of brushes out there. I am thinking of making a large purchase for my different calibres. Ie 17, 22, 24 and 30.
Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I order mine from J. Dewey. I'm not sure if they are one of the above-mentioned brands, but I am happy enough with them not to look elsewhere.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use nylon brushes as a means of getting bore solvent to the barrel, for me it's who ever is cheapest.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want to get serious with a nylon brush, I'd suggest Montana Extreme or Isso. Both are very stout. Also be aware Parker Hale has to be used with their rods, or you'd have to scare up an adaptor - different threads.

Posts: 14 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Sinclair nylon brushes and only on my .22 rimfires. My intent is to scrub out all the loose dirt and gunk but not clean out the patina in the bore. On centerfire or rimfires using jacketed bullets (.17 HMR) I use brass brushes and wash them off after using them with strong bore cleaners.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the brushes from Sinclair with Iosso bore paste on all my rifles.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Juggernaut76, thanks for the tip on Dewey, I looked up their web site and that was very useful.

arkypete, Mate my problem is I am a little bit pedantic so cheapest is not always the best for me, but thanks anyway. Like your Icon BTW.

hayseed51, most of my rods are Parker Hale and yes I have sourced an adaptor.

Locoweed, At the moment I have gone away from using any brass brush in my barrels. Just as an experiment to see if I can still clean my barrels effectively.

FC363, Yes I have some of the Sinclair brushes and they do seem to be good. Just wanted to see what else was available as I don't live in the USA and so when I make a purchase I will get enough to last a lifetime.

Many thanks for replying guys and you have all given me some valuable input.
Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly seccond the nylon brushes from eithor Montana Extream or Isso. I use both and they hold up extreamly well.

Nylon bore brushes are a 100% "must have" item as you simply can not use bronze bore brushes with any form of copper remover as you will drive yourself insain trying to get rid of the seamingly never ending blue on your patches.

As a matter of fact I have not used a phosforus bronze bore brush to clean the bores of any of my rifles, bolt dedicated rifled slug guns, or muzzleloders in years and years. Nylon only for me.

As a matter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use both nylon brushes from Kleenbore and Dewey. I like the Kleenbore the best because the nylon bristles are wound around an Aluminum wire core. The Dewey uses brass and it seems to be effected more by the copper solvents then the Kleenbore models. Kleenbore brushes are also a little cheaper. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told there is only 4 places to get brushes made in the states when I worked at Sinclair we bought them from Dewey & Pro-Shot. Russ Haydon sells a very good brush!! thats where mine come from now.

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
The Montana Extreme brushes are quite stiff and I use them frequently - not just 'cuz I live here, either!

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Kleanbore nylon brushes for scrubbing out copper fouling. If you use them slowly, they seem to last a lot longer than other brands. I also use their bronze brushes to remove powder fouling initially when I start to clean my barrels, saturated with Hoppes No.9.
416RigbyHunter.

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. That was interesting what proplinker said about brush manufacturers in the states.
Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you clean your nylon brushes the same way you clean bronze brushes?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,
I just dip my brushes into a jar of shellite that I keep just for this purpose. A quick shake and they are dry in no time.
Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try Russ Haydon 253-857-7557.....PLEASE do not buy them from Sinclair........Thanks Eric Sinclair

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote