Find
Notify
Tools

polishing compound for cleaning a barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
It is just a thought but if polishing compound doesn't hurt a cars paint would it be safe to use on a barrel to remove hard fouling. people use bullets inpregnated with abrasives. Just a thought. What do the experts say.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would probably be safe but I don't how effective it would be. I think you'd be better served using JB bore cleaner.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...RE-CLEANING-COMPOUND

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for JB--I've never seen bullets recommended for cleaning fouling--some people use them for what's called fire lapping-- a barrel smoothing and break in for those who for some reason don't care to spend the same money for a hand lapped custom barrel, or possibly for those who think that sponging out a barrel with solvent every other round will somehow magically smooth the bore. These people also mistakenly think this is "breaking in" a barrel. Neither the magic solvent nor the magic bullets will cure a bore that varies significantly in diameter down its length--this is the reason some folks insist on buying air gaged barrels.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
amamnn I was not talking about cleaning I was referring to polishing the bore. David Tubbs salec bullets inpregnated with abrasives. I was wondering if you could polish a barrel smooth to help with cleaning and accuracy.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB Bore compound gets my vote. I use it on new barrels before i ever shoot it. About 20-25 patches for around 40 strokes per patch and they seem to be easier to clean from the very beginning.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I can confess I have tried it. I don't know if harm was done. I seemed no more or no less aggressive than the JB Bore Paste I was all out of...
It seems the opinons on even that product, JB, range widely.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly I was confused by the title of your post which was "polishing compound for CLEANING a barrel" I guess I can't read or you can't spell---or someone hacked your title and post and substituted that word in it--wonder which?

All that aside-- I just got out my polishing compound which I use for finishing stocks and read the ingredients. The very first thing mentioned was aluminum oxide, which is the compound that makes up my oil stones, which I use for polishing triggers, sears, and the like. I would not care to use that stuff in a barrel as I would not have proper control over how much metal was removed from the lands and how much rounding was done on the grooves of the rifling.

IMHO a better solution to the whole problem is buying a hand lapped, air gaged barrel in the first place.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Amamnn maybe I could have worded my subject better. I'm sorry it was miss leading for you. I do appericate your in put it seem to be well thought out.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Lapping compounds generally use aluminum oxide or a similar abrasive so yes, it will polish the bore. The problem arises in which compound has exactly what grade abrasive. You're working in the dark and at risk of wasting hours with a product that is too soft or too fine to be efficient, all the way to possibly damaging the bore before you realize it.

Personally I always wondered if the extrusion polishing process they use on performance head intake ports could be adapted to lapping bores on a commercial scale. Anyone know?

If you stick with products proven for the purpose you'll have no risk. OTOH if you like to experiment and don't mind the risk, I'd like to know what you find out.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once polished the bore of an old lightly pitted Mauser barrel with medium fine polishing stick mixed to a slurry with gun oil. It is now mirror bright and drives tacks. I used a worn .22 cal cleaning brush with a 1 inch length of outdoor extension cord insulation wrapped around it to make a lap. The bore was first oiled and the lap inserted from the breech. It was then pushed halfway out the muzzle and coated with the lapping compound. The vinyl insulation molded to the lands and grooves and did a fine job.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, The thing about JB is that it is non-imbedding..something you can not be sure of with other abrasives. JB does make a finer compound called Bore Bright..used for polishing after regular cleaning.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't think that abrasives should be applied to the bore of a barrel.
If your are trying to make a POS barrel a good barrel, you should have gotten a better barrel. Send it back.
If you are trying to make a good barrel better, buy a better barrel.

I cannot imagine anything as haphazard as fire lapping being of any benefit.

I'd be willing to bet that no barrel manufacturer recommends that you use any abrasives in their barrels??
Most of those bulging bicep professional barrel lappers have been replaced with CNC lapping machines!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen! tu2
Grinding paste has no place inside a barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I don't think that abrasives should be applied to the bore of a barrel.

AGREED!...if it is a "good" barrel.

If you are trying to make a POS barrel a good barrel, you should have gotten a better barrel. Send it back.

But whether it is a good barrel or not may not be known until you have tried it out. And sometimes sending it back does no good...even though it only shoots 3" 3-shot groups for for the manufacturer, they say there is nothing wrong with it and return it unreplaced and unimproved. Been there. Experienced that; with Bushmaster.

I cannot imagine anything as haphazard as fire lapping being of any benefit.

Perhaps not, but sometimes we have to stretch our imaginations. I own that POS barrel which would not shoot 3-shot groups tighter than 3" at 100 yards and which Bushmaster refused to replace with a good one. So, in desperation I tried fire-lapping. After that it shot (and still shoots) 1 MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards. So it is still on my AR.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
One reason I NEVER BUY A USED rifle without scoping it first.... Never know what someone has done to the tube....

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any of you used KG2 bore polish? it worked wonders in my old 7x57 barrel

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote