New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with bore coating compunds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reading the claims of makers of bore coating compounds. Sounds impressive with the reduced fouling and quick clean up after a shooting session. I have never used anything like that and I would appreciate hearing from those that have experience with these products. Thank you.

Posts: 99 | Location: AR | Registered: 23 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
huntstat,

Check the find button at the top of this page. Type in bore coat. Go back to April 2013. There was a discussion about Dyna Bore Coat that may be enlightning to you.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

Posts: 99 | Location: AR | Registered: 23 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it on my varmint rifle this past week. My gun, a Cooper Model 21 in .223, was significantly easier to clean after a few hundred rounds at the end of each day.

So far, so good.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Dyna Tek Bore Coat on my 338 Win Mag last summer. It's been easy to clean but I can't say with any certainty it made a difference. I still have an unopened package of it but I'm in no hurry to use it on my other rifles. A couple patches of Patch Out followed immediately by a blast of Wipeout does a good job cleaning out the barrel. If the first application doesn't work, I give it another one and let it sit overnight. I don't recall having to do anything more than that to clean my rifle or pistol barrels.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it on several rifles now. My conclusion is that it helps a lot on really smooth bores, helps a little on average bores, and helps not at all on rougher bores.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My biggest success with UBC was a 7mm that would only get a couple of good groups before throwing fliers. That took a while to figure out but once it was established a friend told me about Ultra bore coat. After doing he treatment and shooting it was a different rifle. It would just keep shooting.

After a few cleanings I just quit cleaning the bore and it just keeps going. UBC saved that barrel for me.

On other rifles the results are harder to tell. When you have a rifle that shoots well and doesn't foul much there is little to gain. Living in a dry climate I seldom clean bores anymore unless I have to. With the vast majority of barrels when you scrub them right out you just have to put it back in again before they shoot their best. Many of my rifles have many hundreds of rounds since their last bore cleaning. I'll routinely clean everything but the bore, and my gunsmith has standing orders to never clean one of my bores when the gun is in for other work.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in the mid 60's I bought a Rem 700 BDL in 25-06 that proved to be a bugholer par excellence with just about any bullet I fed it. Shots out to 500-600 yds were boring after a while.

I got a wild hair to make it "indestructible" and sent it off to have the bore chrome plated and the exterior "Black Chromed".

The first group I fired using its favorite 100 gr looked like a shotgun pattern and the same for EVERY bullet I tried...but it sure cleaned quick...NOTHING stuck to that bore.

The people I sent it to guaranteed "no loss in accuracy"...they "electro-washed" the bore prior to coating and there would be "NO change in bore dimensions".

6 months of letters didn't do a thing to resolve the issue. I finally just stuck on a Douglas air gauged barrel and chambered it to 338-06.

My basic premise today is...LEAVE THE BORE ALONE...coat the outside if you must, but don't take the chance of ruining the bore by mucking about with something that really isn't needed.

There are way to many excellent products on the market that will clean the bore down to bare metal, several ways to get a rough bore to smooth out, and, besides many bores shoot much better by being fouled by a few shots and you can ruin a bore by over cleaning faster that just shooting it "dirty".

All this krap about bore cleaning is just a way to relieve your pocket book of the extra weight of MONEY and to give the gun rags something to write about and prove they have some kind of value.

No dis or flame intended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DBC is the real deal. I have it in 5 big game rifles and it works as advertised.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The instructions probably say clean the bore in a certain manner before application.

The bore cleaning and subsequent smoothing by shooting is probably what does the job.

Any material you put in the bore is going to get burned, blown and rubbed out by 3000 degree supersonic flames at 50,000 PSI and the drag of the bullets jackets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My random thought would be to coat each bullet, rather than the barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't that tried with moly coating bullets?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and I have had very good results with moly coated bullets.
I used them in 1000 yard and Palma Matches and when doing high volume prairie dog shooting.

I have switched between moly and non moly bullets with no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there ya go!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago, I acquired a nicely sporterized scoped type 38 Japanese Arisaka rifle. It had been rechambered to 257Roberts. Rifle may have been done by Atkinson & Marquette, gunsmiths with quite a reputation in the late 1970s in Prescott, Az. Its military barrel was 6.5....so, I had a 6.5x257. Condition of the military bore was so-so, not really bad, but left a lot to be desired too. Decent lands in the bore, but lots of frosting, minor pitting in the rifling.

After numerous trips to the range, trying various reloads, about the best 100 yd group shot was around 2". Never had a clover leaf, bullets never hit anywhere close to each other. 100 yd groups with the rifle were 2" at best, typically somewhere between 2 1/2" to 3" with my reloads.

Then one day I came home form an auto parts store with an engine crankcase additive called Greased Lightening, had PTFE (Teflon) in it. For you old timers, think of an STP with Teflon in it. I'd read a post about a Teflon bore coat product a few weeks before on some gun site.

Long story short, went to range with rifle and began swabbing a glob of the Greased Lightening in the muzzle and then used a patch to spread it down the bore. Shot the rifle. I would shoot around 4 or so rounds when I noticed my group shrinking. After 8 or so swabs with the Greased lightening, I was shooting around a 1 1/2" 100 yd group....even had some clover leafs, something I'd never shot before with the rifle.

When I got home, cleaned the bore. There was a very noticeable feel when running a patch down the Arisaka's bore....heck of a lot smoother feel. Had to assume the Teflon in the greased lightening had sealed/filled the frosting in the riflings and etc.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried Snipex on a low cost 223 Wylde service rifle barrel that seemed to be only mediocre in accuracy ( 1- 1.5 MOA with carefully prepped match ammo). I had about 300 rounds through the bore and the lead measured XXX at that point. I treated the rifle with Snipex as directed ( a fully cleaned bore, then 30 rounds with a swabbed bore and bullet ogives dipped in the matrix). Of course, the treatment rounds produced a messy group, maybe 2" at 100 from a bench (AR Service rifles don't seem to slide well on a bench setup). I carefully cleaned the bore following the process, then moved back to 200 yds, as a Hi-power shooter I shoot from sling and jacket etc, not from a rest. Well, after a few fouling shots, I ran a few more over the chrono, this lot of ammo ( 24 grn Varget, LC 07 cases, 75 grn Horn BTHP at mag length, KVB 223M primers), was producing 2720 fs . Same lot post treatment showed 2760fs, 20 round string produced a 199-13x on a reduced 600yd target ( MR 42 X ring is about 7/8" dia)with a noteably rounder group, one called out (yes, even at only 200 yds, wind dope does matter!).

The big deal for me was the long term result- the rifle now has 1375 rounds through it. and the leade is now only .013 deeper than previously measured, after ~1000 rounds more. So, accuracy was a bit better from a decent barrel, but longevity seemed to be the great benefit. button rifled barrels in 223 seem to last about 2000-2500 rounds before 600 yds accuracy really falls off.

Was it worth $35 dollars for the Snipex ( carbide metallic stuff), yes, if only to keep the barrel on an don par longer.

For high volume shooters, barrels are like brass, they last only so long.

Cleaning is about the same, a few wet patches, brushed, then dry patches, copper fouling seems to be less ( I clean only about every 200-250 rounds , other than a et wipe after every session).

YRMV.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used a product called Moly Fusion? (no, not molybium)

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
much to do about nothing, some folks go anal on gun maintenance me thinks, sorry I'm not a clean gun freak..It just takes very little maintence to keep a rifle trouble free..The only thing that creates problems is unreasonable neglect..

I guess I've known too many cowboys and Eskimos that never clean a rifle, never even bring it into the house, and never seem to have rust or bad bores,just shiny metal and exhibition drift wood stocks.. sofa then again there has never been a game animal killed with a clean barrel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding bore coating products, does any serve a useful purpose when shooting black powder and cast bullets exclusively? If any product works well, please identify it.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
That would be Crisco!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crisco and bear grease..Actually bear grease is great on black powder guns, also for pie crust and tortillas..other than that it draws flys and gets rancid.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote