Find
Notify
Tools

No smell powder solvent
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I use Wipeout for copper fouling and used a quart bottle of Marksman's Choice that I bought 15 years or so ago. I finally ran out and bought a new 4 oz. bottle but it has a strong chemical smell that it never had before.

All my gun stuff is in the house and Wifezilla is hyper sensitive to chemical smells so can anyone recommend a good powder solvent that doesn't have a lot of odor?

Thanks,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Dawn dish detergent and very hot water? Draw it up from the muzzle end by the patch on your (one-piece) cleaning rod. Followed, of course, by the gun oil of your choice.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Marvel Mystery Oil. It has a very sweet and pleasant almost peppermint smell. Cuts powder fouling like butter. Developed as a carbon and gum remover for carburetors and fuel injection systems. Added benefit is that you can add leftovers to your gas and improve engine performance.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my greatest hope as a young man was that somebody would make a ladies perfume that smelled just like the (old) Hoppes #9...

It was a wonderful thing, to open my Grandfather's locked guncase and smell traces of Hoppes on firearms.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started using Remington's Brite Bore. The bottle says it will remove copper and lead but I have not tried it in a copper or lead fouled barrel I can say however that it is a very good powder solvent and cleaned the two rifles I use the most very well. It has a mild kind of sweet aroma. It is not nearly as strong smelling as most of the others I have used. I have used Hoppes #9, #9 Bench rest, Barnes CR10, and a couple of others of them all the Remington's smells the least offensive. Oh it works also.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Whatever I am currently using to clean my weapons, I keep a bottle of Hoppes open just for the memories it envokes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm trying Brite Bore and share dwheels conclusions : good powder, carbon (?) solvent but I failed to notice effects on copper fouling. Personally, I prefer Butch's but my wife objects, pretending the whole house stinks after my using it...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
I'm trying Brite Bore and share dwheels conclusions : good powder, carbon (?) solvent but I failed to notice effects on copper fouling. Personally, I prefer Butch's but my wife objects, pretending the whole house stinks after my using it...

Andre, I have the same issue, whichever cleaner I use now, Wifezilla gives me grief for days.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break Through perhaps...?

It is odorless, and the ads say it contains no toxic ingredients.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a somewhat dated post, but Shooter's Choice Aqua Clean is odorless and a good cleaner. Same for MP-7 Pro.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out Patch Out or BoreTech Eliminator.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live alone (sometimes a good thing, other times not...) but I have used Sweet's a fair amount, and other than a mild ammonia smell, never thought it was particularly objectionable.

But maybe that is because I am a guy and really don't care about smell if it gets the job done.

There are some citrus-derived cleaners out there now that should keep the squaw quiet.

Oh, wait: I used the wrong term. Sorry, guys. I didn't mean squaw. I really didn't... Roll Eyes

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many people get allergy problems with those citrus cleaners . As much as food flavorings and now the citrous cleaners [mostly orange ] are used ,orange is high on the list of food allergins !

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Not much smell from Bore Teck

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Dane says. I've been using it for years. It works well. They have a variety of products for cleaning bores.

I've even used the KG 1 to loosen the carbon trapping the long stems of the dead glow plugs in my MB diesel!

http://www.kgcoatings.com/prod.../kg-1-carbon-remover

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex said years ago that Hoppes #9 should be made into a cologne as the scent was so "sexy". Oh well,at least I got laid after cleaning my guns.I will say that the scent/fumes do help to relieve headaches.Really!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minimal scent from Bore Tech, KG 1, Mpro7, Hoppes Elite. These also seem to be some of the most effective products on the market as well. which one is on my bench just depends on which one is most convenient to pick up when I run low.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have been incurring the wrath of my wife over the smell of Shooter's Choice especially this winter. I clean in the basement and the furnace picks up the odor and spreads it upstairs.

As you are aware, cleaning a centerfire rifle involves removing both carbon and copper fouling. A fellow shooter introduced me to Bore Tech CU+2 copper remover. It odorless and does a terrific job removing copper.

He first cleans with Hoppe's No 9 to remove the carbon fouling using a bronze brush. Then he finishes with Bore Tech CU+2 to remove the copper using a copperless jag and a nylon brush with a copperless core.

Hoppe's No 9 always has been a great solvent to remove lead and carbon but did not remove copper.

I tried his procedure and it seems to work quite well and has solved the offensive odor problem with Shooter's Choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I clean with hot soapy water and a detergent to get a bore squeaky clean after using a dose or two of Wipe Out treatments. I only do this once or twice a year, and after Huntign season as a rule, the rest of the year I just use the bore snake..Never had any problems with this method.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote