New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning process that may help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been a long time since I posted anything on the forums, but have come across a process that is working remarkably so I thought I would pass it on to see if it might benefit someone else.

Background: I have owned numerous rifles, most of which clean up o.k. I had owned two rifles in .257 Wby that were both absolute pigs to clean (purchased both of them used). I would love to have half of the time back that I spent trying to clean those rifles...I could go on some pretty extended hunting trips with that time.

Fast forward...both Wby's gone. I purchased a new Wby Accuguard in .257 and decided that I would start it off with the recommended break-in procedure from Wby.

As soon as I got the rifle I went to work on it with Wipe Out. Patches were pretty blue/black just from the factory test firing. Then I started the one shot/clean routine. I am now up to the three shot/clean routine and I am pulling very little in the way of copper fouling out of it each time (not a luxury I am used to experiencing) So here is the process I am using that I have found to be as fast as I think I'm ever going to get.

Once shots have been fired I run a caliber specific "Bore Snake" through the barrel five times. This gets much of the dry, loose crap out.

Once that is done I shoot a good amount of Hoppes No. 9 in the barrel with a syringe/pipette, and spread this down the barrel with a very loose fitting patch so that most of it stays in the barrel to soak. You'll want to put a water bottle over the end of your barrel to catch the excess. I let this sit anywhere from one hour to overnight (or longer if I get tied up).

When I get back to it I run a caliber sized nylon/brass brush one way (towards the muzzle) for 10-12 passes.

Once that is complete I follow with a Hoppes soaked patch one way (repeat three times). When I am done with this the patch comes out looking like it went in.

This is followed by several dry patches to dry the bore out.

I then plug the chamber with a rag and shoot Wipe Out in from the muzzle...holding it tight to make sure the entire barrel fills up with foam. Walk away for anywhere from 30 minutes until I feel like it. I then run a patch to clear this out...usually a faint blue with a little black from carbon.

I repeat this as many times as necessary, but on this rifle I have found that my second round of Wipe Out is purely for my comfort as it is coming out clean.

Wipe the chamber out, follow with a dry patch and I'm ready to shoot it again. If I were going to store it I would lightly oil the bore.

I know this is a long write up, but it is the slickest cleaning technique I have found in forty years of experimentation.

Your mileage may vary.
300winnie

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Doubt it will change the routine others have worked out for their needs. Don't need squeaky clean myself -- slightly coppered works best in mine. Glad you have found happiness, though.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will scrub the barrel down with JB's, then apply Dyna Bore Coat, future cleanup will consist of 5-7 patches or less.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's is an effective carbon removal especially with a bronze brush. I like the mechanical action of a bronze brush to remove carbon.

For copper removal I recently been trying BoreTech CU+2 copper remover. Work real well and doesn't smell. With this you need to use non-cooper containing jags, nylon brush with non copper containing cores, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I am shooting at the range, the last thing I do is run a patch soaked with Kroil or Hoppes through the barrel. That seems to keep the crud from hardening.
When I get a new rifle, my first act is to give the barrel 500 (yep,500) strokes with a JB saturated patch.
I use a well used bronze brush with a patch wound around it. I run the cleaning rod through the bore guide and barrel and put the brush/patch in the rod after it protrudes from the muzzle. I then pull the rod back through the barrel (this keeps the JB from building up inside of the chamber. After you have push/pulled the patch through the barrel several times, Use your finger to collect the JB that has accumulated around the muzzle and smear it back on the patch. And continue. You don't have to do the whole 500 at one sitting.
I have never subscribed to the "shoot one, clean one" theory. I just try to avoid over-heating the barrel.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Wipe Out about twice a year or after a many round rock chuck hunt, otherwise I use a boresnake..I agree a squeaky clean bore is not what Im after, cuz cousin I have foul the barrel to get my gun back to zero, and some guns take 3 rounds but some take up to 100 rounds like my Ruger 30-06, so I haven't cleaned it in 15 or so years and it still shoots 5 shots under an inch or better.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote