Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Bore Cleaners
 Login/Join

posted
I own an old Brazilian Mauser that has been sporterised but still has the original barrel. No matter what I do I cannot get the bore clean.
Living in South Africa I do not have access to all the wonderful sounding cleaning solvents that you can buy in the US. Has anybody used an electronic bore cleaner and what are your results?
Thanks

Along with success comes a reputation for wisdom

Posts: 6 | Location: KZN, South Africa | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First post on AR I see? Welcome!

I have used the Outer's Foul-Out II for a decade or more. It's not actually electronic, but electrochemical. (A small nit to pick.)

It's not fast but it's thorough.

Here's a link to the newer Foul-Out III model. I believe the II has been discontinued.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one - its pretty much worthless. doesn't seem to get anything out that a plain good cleaning does

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old truth, sometimes ignored. Many, many bore cleaners are the same as "carb cleaners" sold by the major auto makers. GM was selling a top end cleaner the same as Shooter's Choice, aerosol and a bit cheaper too. If you have automobiles around you should be able to access chemicals that will do a very good job. At the same time some of those old rifles have buildup and other things that just isn't coming out. The electro chemical devices take a bit of "know how." For what the promise they will work, but you have to cooperate. Happy New Year. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a really dirty barrel, nothing works better than the Outer's Foul Out.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i have one - its pretty much worthless. doesn't seem to get anything out that a plain good cleaning does

+1 if you have relatively clean barrels to start with

-1 if you have an old barrel with layers of powder and copper fouling from years of abuse

Be sure to read the instructions carefully because you can more damage than good if you misuse it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used one so I can't really comment as to how well they work. If you want to play around and make one see this:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/re.../copperout/index.asp

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote