New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foul Out Electrical Cleaning Kit (?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I,ve been reading this forum for quite a while and even add a comment from time to time. However, I cannot recall ever seeing a thread commenting on or questioning the Otter's Foul Out method. Comments?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Mike, login, go to 'Find', enter 'Foul Out' and there you are.
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one for years. When I am confronted with really severe fouling, it is the way to go. Not necessarily fast, but it WORKS. Lead or copper (different solvent media) really come out; I have been amazed some times at just how much crud was in a barrel.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jan, Thanks. I did and am still surprised by the lack of Foul Out usage mentioned on this forum. Looks like thousands of comments on differing cleaning procedures and products but little on the Foul Out. Makes me wonder.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Its been a long time since it came up but I remember a few comprehensive threads. I use one too, from time to time. Very useful tool but it can be abused if you don't follow the directions closely.

Of particular concern is the presence of rust during the cleaning process. If you get the copper solution contaminated with enough rust (or whatever iron compound forms in the solution), the system will begin to attack the barrel steel. The preventative action is to run the thing for 15 minutes and check the fluid for a change of color. If it turned orange, you need to scrub the barrel to remove the remaining rust (which is now loosened due to the electrolitic action) and start again with fresh fluid. And check again regularly to make sure you got it all out of the bore. I saw a bore scope of a rusty barrel that was left on the system several hours and the bore looked like swiss cheese.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Tigger, you are absolutely right. Once I spoiled a Sako barrel, I put in the fluid in the evening and forgot to look. The next morning the barrel was ruïned, like you said. I tried to shoot a reasonable group, but this was a saddening experience! Had to replace the barrel.
Nevertheless, if you pay attention the method works very well on seriously contaminated barrels and I still use one for removing copper in not match-grade barrels. But I check every twenty minutes to half an hour the first two hours and never let the fluid in place for more than six hours. Be careful!
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mine to get lead out of a 45ACP barrel once in a blue moon (when I forget and use some very soft factory bullets). Works great on both rifles and handguns to get both lead and copper out. Just a little slow.

I don't recommend using the copper remover on one of the Russian 91/30s, though. Think Swiss Cheese.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The unsaid benefit is that if you get a really badly rusted garrel (i.e. military surplus) and you want to remove all of it quickly without abrasives or harsh chemicals the Foul Out will loosen it by the above posted process.

Just remember that 15-30 minutes will eletrolically do the job and if you fall asleep or forget it, you'll start losing barrel steel shortly after that.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote