Notify
Tools

Pulling brush back through barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted
Hello Everybody,
I know most people advocate not pulling a patch back thought the barrel after being pushed forward. But what about brushes? I read in a book ("Gun Owner's Book Of Care, Repair, And Improvement" by Roy Dunlap) That he pushes the brush forward and out, removes it, retracts the rod, screws it back on and repeats. This seems logical if not time consuming to me. Anyone have any thoughts?

-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting IBS B.R. matches for about 10 years and have not seen anyone remove a brush yet.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend using patches first then running a brush through for loosening what the patches did not remove then finish with patches. No reason to remove brush.

However, I think it is important to clean the bush immediately after use.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teroenza:
I do exactly as you describe.

I often have a cotton patch wraped around the bronze brush. The wire bristles of the brush do poke through the cloth patch a bit so they are able to do their scraping thing and they hold the solvent soaked patch tight to the bore.

Once the patch come out grit free I start turning the patches over and rewrap them on to the brush and push that same patch through the bore again.
That way I get more mileage on my solvent and patches (I have to trim cloth patches to fit that part is the most tedious part).

I usually use a strip of Bounty paper towel as my first patch to go down the bore sometimes it's wraped on a brush.

I use a nylon brush for 80% of the time with or with out a cloth or paper towel patch wraped on it.
The thicker bristles of the nylon brush don't poke through the clolh patch but act like springs to force the solvent soaked patch tight to the bore. Which work great when I use JB bore bright on the patch cloth or paper.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Very interesting
Thanks everyone
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote