New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glove Up When Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was shooting today at my friendly neighborhood indoor range and bumped into a neighbor but he wasn't shooting today. I asked what up? And he told me the following story...

Seems he poisoned himself, or there bouts, a few days ago. He was busy cleaning a few handguns with QuickClean and an assortment of solvents in a well ventilated area. So he was safe or so he thought. But he wasn't using gloves.

I shook my head and his eyes widened and he quickly asked "Do you use gloves when cleaning?" The answer was - ALWAYS. Solvents are after all solvents and they are designed to penetrate fouling and they also easily penetrate your skin.

He said after his fourth handgun he began to get dizzy with a massive headache and knew something was seriously wrong, but it still had not dawned on him he was busy poisoning himself. So the wife took him to the ER. Doc takes one look at his bloodshot eyes and now rapidly beating heart and quickly deduces he was toxic.

He's waiting on all the ER costs, but it will be an expensive lesson - $0.10 worth of gloves can save a lot of hospital bills.

FWIW, this is the third person I've known who's done this.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, a good reminder.

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I get the light blue gloves from harbor freight for cleaning. Works well.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Glad he's going to be OK. IMO, guns, in general, involve a variety of not-nice substances from manufacturing all the way through the cleaning process. If something is designed to eat metal off of other metal, I probably don't want it anywhere near my skin. Gloves and usually eye protection are a must.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A box of rubber (surgical type) gloves is not expensive. They not only protect but are good for keeping the odors off your hands. Like when applying some solvent while waiting to take your wife to dinner.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Unless you are using a glove for protection from chemicals, you are still at risk for exposure. For that reason, I have switched to non-toxic, biodegradeable cleaning supplies for most of my requirements. Most of them work really well. I still keep “Sweets”, “Shooter’s Choice” products on hand but rarely need them. When I do use harsh chemicals, I always use chemical gloves.

In my last job, I was an HS&E Director and the accident and incident investigations and findings involving chemicals really opened my eyes and mind to making a few changes in my way of dealing with them.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You're kidding, right?

What the hell is your "neighbor" using, benzene?

Nonsense.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but Opus1 is a troll.

A complete bullshitter and fraud.

Of course, I wear a complete biohazard suit, myself.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input Mike. tu2

Trichloroethylene is the primary solvent in Gun Scrubber and is used in several other gun solvents as well as brake cleaner. Solvents have an accumulative effect and over time it is fairly easy to become toxic with them.

http://www.coltfever.com/uploa...un_Scrubber_MSDS.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topi...thylene/default.html

Before you call someone a troll, do try and grab a clue first.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Thanks for your input Mike. tu2

Trichloroethylene is the primary solvent in Gun Scrubber and is used in several other gun solvents as well as brake cleaner. Solvents have an accumulative effect and over time it is fairly easy to become toxic with them.

http://www.coltfever.com/uploa...un_Scrubber_MSDS.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topi...thylene/default.html

Before you call someone a troll, do try and grab a clue first.

I thought they outlawed Trichloroethylene 30 years ago? Any way, common sense goes a long way to self preservation. I hope your friend is ok.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the MSDS on all solvents and chemicals you commonly use. You would be very surprised with some of the ingredients, directions for use and recommended PPE. Most of us don't pay any attention to them.

In regards to my neighbor, it was an acute reaction and nothing more, but it got his attention. For some reason he ignored common sense. He's otherwise a very switched on guy. There are three pathways to exposure - ingestion, inhalation, and dermal absorption. Probably a good idea to observe them all... or not...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made it near 86 years without a glove, this is just BS IMO..but then some folks won't eat sliced white bread or red meat..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’d have to bathe in the stuff to suffer that kind of reaction. Total bullshit.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you're correct Michael. All this toxicology stuff is just to scare people. And the 2.1 million folks who manage to poison themselves with chemicals each year are just making it all up. Just wanting a little attention and nothing more.

Makes perfect sense. I'll tell my neighbor he's full of shit because some really intelligent guy on the Internet said so.

Thanks tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can give him my name, too.

What’s yours, besides bullshit artist?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
How many of those 2.1 million died from cleaning guns? I have loved the smell of Hoppes from childhood, its legendary to hunters to love the smell of Hoppes no. 9... Smiler

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Ray----who doesn't love the smell of Hoppe's Especially the older stuff !!!

Older .22 rimfire ammo smells great too !!! Much better than the newer stuff !

Most of these young scalawags wouldn't know !

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
You can give him my name, too.

What’s yours, besides bullshit artist?

+1

Let’s see what state and hospital did this fine gentleman go to due to nearly killing himself cleaning a gun. And it’s the fourth person the credited investor knows.

Maybe same guy who shot multiple cows when he was prairie dog hunting dancing

This troll bs is amazing Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

I haunt you apparently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.corneredcat.com/ar...lower-lead-exposure/

https://www.gungoddess.com/blo...xposure-and-shooting

Just a couple of references found without much trouble. The real danger as pointed out is lead absorption facilitated by solvents penetrating the skin. I work on guns every day and keep a box of nitrile gloves nearby. I use them constantly. Any educated gunsmith will. You can still run into toluene in gun cleaning products which is toxic by breathing and through the skin. Gloves are cheap and effective. No reason not to use them. Just like condoms.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think using gloves is a sensible precaution with many of the chemicals we use in gun cleaning, although it is a precaution I have not often taken. But these days I tend to use Break Free and Ballistol for this work, which I consider to be on the benign end of things.
That said, lead is lead is lead ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will admit I usually don’t use gloves while cleaning. Partially because I can’t pick up small parts with them and I figure with the holes I rip in them disassembling and reassembling them, I’m still exposed. Yes, it does make clean up easier. The new stuff like the Barrett bore cleaner and patch out make it even safer.

Rarely I have gotten a bit of a topical reaction.

Now, spray gun scrubber or carb cleaner is a different matter, and while I still use them, it’s with some trepidation given the cancer warnings and I use nothing like the amounts I used to.

I have not seen or heard of anyone getting anything worse than a localized skin reaction from gun cleaning products, but it’s also possible that folks just don’t admit to the exposure.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its probably more sensible to read the warning on the can, Im sure it depends on what you use...America has become perinoid to beat hell, but I still eat sliced white bread, red meat, ice cream and candy, paint my barn and fences and try to live a normal life..I wear a mask in town to protect my fellow man, thats the best Im gonna do..and if I die it will be the sky bosses doing and Im good with that..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have loved the smell of Hoppes from childhood

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
quote:
I have loved the smell of Hoppes from childhood

+1

Myself as well. All it takes is one whiff and I'm transported back to my childhood, helping my Dad clean firearms ( i.e. getting in his way and pestering him with questions). The fifties were a great time to be a kid.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out that the back of my left had would itch like crazy and crack the skin after cleaning my rifled.

I certainly had some reaction to the chemicals.

No issue now that I were gloves so I'll keep doing it.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
WE all have choices, I chose not too and nobodytold me too, and Im 86 going on 87, Ive all but bathed in all the gun chems, It like nobodys died of the flu or anything else since covid..I mean the hospitals get a big payoff for every covid death!! it takes no seventh son of a seventh son to figure that one out, but when I go to town I wear a mask to protect my fellow man, unless it someone I don't like then I take it off and kiss him or her, and shit it has yet to work and I got trenchmouth! shocker

Just kidding guys, don't freak out on me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Look at the MSDS on all solvents and chemicals you commonly use. You would be very surprised with some of the ingredients, directions for use and recommended PPE. Most of us don't pay any attention to them.

In regards to my neighbor, it was an acute reaction and nothing more, but it got his attention. For some reason he ignored common sense. He's otherwise a very switched on guy. There are three pathways to exposure - ingestion, inhalation, and dermal absorption. Probably a good idea to observe them all... or not...

I totally agree with using gloves, I use the thicker nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight Tools. Humans did not evolve with most modern industrial chemicals, and then that stuff is absorbed through the skin, who the heck knows what that stuff will do.

Deniers are not worth bothering with. Today I went to the Doctor for the physical, and I asked him how many of his patients are refusing the COVID shot. About 20% was the estimate. The US has lost about a half million, and yet 20% of the nation does not believe that COVID is dangerous, or the vaccine is safe (even though millions have been injected), and an interesting percentage believe COVID is a hoax. There are those who are going to act as they want, and I can only hope, that their stupid decisions kill them.

A friend of mine told me two weeks ago that he had to go to a funeral of a fellow Knights of Colombus member. The member was in his early 70'
s and a COVID denier. Went to restaurants, socialized, and took zero protective measures, if he could. The guy came down with COVID, which ruined his lungs. He was stable enough to discharge to home, and at home, he could not get enough oxygen into his system and he died. I wonder as he lay, gasping on his bed, whether he thought then, the disease was real, and dangerous. Might not have!

Gotta wonder who many deniers even know if they have toxoplasma. https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../12/121206203240.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today we live in a world of over reaction, political correctness, fear of death, and denied ourselves of immunity by not letting our kids play in the dirt and cleaning their guns with Hoppes! faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120