New
Find
Notify
Tools

going back to non-moly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 6-284 that I have always shot moly coated bullets out of and now I want to change back to non moly. I thought I had it pretty clean but when I shot the same load of 54 h1000 107's they would only shoot 1" instead of the 3/8" they usually do. I'm thinking that I still don't have all the old moly out yet, what are you guys thoughts?

Posts: 28 | Location: Canfield Ohio | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
shoot cleen repeat! diggin

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the powder charge should be adjusted upwards slightly to compensate for the reduced pressure provided by the slippery coating that used to be on the bullet and bore.
With coating on the bullet and bore gone, you are no longer operating at the same pressure, I bet the velocity of this load does not chrono the same as before. Get the velocity back to where it was before and it will probably tighten the group back up.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I shot this load with moly the higher the pressure seemed to get. I ended up dropping down to 52. I'm still going to crony it this weekend hopfully if the weather holds out.

Posts: 28 | Location: Canfield Ohio | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d ask about cleaning over on benchrest.com those boys have years of experiance with that stuff. My take on moly is it builds up in the first couple inches of the bore and you need something like JB or Rem Clean to get it out. I never have used moly though, so this is just hearsay.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Actually, with the moly reducing pressures somewhat, I would LOWER the powder charge a bit when using non-moly's bullets to see if accuracy comes back.
Old Joe is right on the build-up of moly. Brush and JB will help remove this.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Had similar problems with moly, so I no longer use it. Still have about 40 or so moly VMAX .223's in a case somewhere.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I have 20 or so more moly rounds then I'm done shooting in this gun. I sure hope that it comes around to shooting better.