The Accurate Reloading Forums
going back to non-moly

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/370100348

31 March 2008, 16:38
going back to non-moly
I have a 6-284 that I have always shot moly coated bullets out of and now I want to change back to non moly. I thought I had it pretty clean but when I shot the same load of 54 h1000 107's they would only shoot 1" instead of the 3/8" they usually do. I'm thinking that I still don't have all the old moly out yet, what are you guys thoughts?
01 April 2008, 10:24
Rex Rat
shoot cleen repeat! diggin

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03 April 2008, 03:15
greenjoy
I would suspect the powder charge should be adjusted upwards slightly to compensate for the reduced pressure provided by the slippery coating that used to be on the bullet and bore.
With coating on the bullet and bore gone, you are no longer operating at the same pressure, I bet the velocity of this load does not chrono the same as before. Get the velocity back to where it was before and it will probably tighten the group back up.
03 April 2008, 14:15
The more I shot this load with moly the higher the pressure seemed to get. I ended up dropping down to 52. I'm still going to crony it this weekend hopfully if the weather holds out.
03 April 2008, 18:13
Ol` Joe
I`d ask about cleaning over on benchrest.com those boys have years of experiance with that stuff. My take on moly is it builds up in the first couple inches of the bore and you need something like JB or Rem Clean to get it out. I never have used moly though, so this is just hearsay.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

03 April 2008, 20:45
prof242
Actually, with the moly reducing pressures somewhat, I would LOWER the powder charge a bit when using non-moly's bullets to see if accuracy comes back.
Old Joe is right on the build-up of moly. Brush and JB will help remove this.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship
05 April 2008, 17:16
NEJack
Had similar problems with moly, so I no longer use it. Still have about 40 or so moly VMAX .223's in a case somewhere.
08 April 2008, 14:10
Thanks for the input, I have 20 or so more moly rounds then I'm done shooting in this gun. I sure hope that it comes around to shooting better.