Find
Notify
Tools

Sweets - great results and clean-up question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I know some folks swear by it and some don't; but let me tell you my experience and get your feedback.

I have typically used BreakFree and Hoppe's Elite cleaning products for rifles. I also use the foaming cleaners once per year on each rifle.

I used some Sweets last night on two rifles (both SS barrels) that just had their annual deep cleaning (in additional to regular cleaning). Sweets removed copper that was still in there. I wouldn't say it was a motherload of copper, but it took multiple passes to get it clean.

I started with a patch of Sweets and then let it set for about a minute. Then I would run another patch through with Sweets, then dry patches, and then finish off with several patch of BreakFree until clean. And then one pass with a dry patch. I kept repeating this process until there was no more blue.

So, it did clean better than anything else.

Clean-up Question - does this cleaning process - what I describe above - remove all of the Sweets or should I do something else as well?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3038 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
To get Sweets to really work well, wrap a strip of cloth around a Parker Hale type jag, soak it in Sweets and while the barrel is still hot (on the range) wipe it in and out of the barrel very quickly till it foams up. Repeat as many times as necessary.

I always use a lube or oil to coat the barrel after patching out the sweets. The barrel will not like moisture and sweets and the recommendation is not to leave it in the barrel longer than 15 minutes. If you live in a dry area you can leave it in for a bit longer Smiler.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Lilja told me years ago to leave Sweets no longer than 7 minutes in a barrel and neturalize it with an oil like Butch's gun oil.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Dan Lilja told me years ago to leave Sweets no longer than 7 minutes in a barrel and neturalize it with an oil like Butch's gun oil.

If Montana has any kind of humidity then he his spot on.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANNUAL deep cleaning?

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yes - annual deep cleaning. Given I usually shoot less than 20 rounds through a rifle per year, doesn't need foaming bore cleaner nor sweets everytime I shoot.

I do clean every time after I shoot. Just not with the foam and sweets.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3038 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote