New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Lothar Barrel Does Not Copper Foul
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have fired about a thousand rds(Sierra and Hornady BTHP's) through my LW 308win Palma barrel and have not yet seen a trace of copper in the bore.If someone were to tell me this before I had this barrel I would think they were crazy or just bullshitting.The barrel is still shooting well after getting it very hot a few times.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using a CFE type of powder ?

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using mostly IMR 4064 and some Vit 140.I have never had a barrel that did not copper foul.This is the first one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you lucked out.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther!

You dont say: Wesson & Smith, do you?

http://www.lothar-walther.de/3.php

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LW certainly makes excellent barrels, I've had one myself.
But I find it hard to believe that they shouldn't foul.
How do you determine your 'non-fouling'?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fuchs:
LW certainly makes excellent barrels, I've had one myself.
But I find it hard to believe that they shouldn't foul.
How do you determine your 'non-fouling'?

I did not say that they didn't foul.I said that my barrel did not show any copper fouling.There is no visible copper in the bore and the wipe-out(and Break-Free) foam cleaner I apply never shows the slightest blue coloration or any trace of blue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that even without copper fouling accuracy can take a dive.I think carbon fouling can clog up the rifling and quickly drop the POI.A good scrubbing with JB will restores things and raises POI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foul or not my 8x64s with a L/W shoots great anytime. Wink

tasso

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw some copper fouling this morning.I will soon get my new Krieger barrelled rifle back from the smith and in a while should have a fresh idea of how they both compare(Krieger vs LW).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a lengthy and enlightening discussion with my Smith yesterday on barrel steel.He is very knowledgeable in this area having worked for many years in the steel/machining industry.
I will no longer buy a stainless barrel.Alot of misinformation put out there by some of the barrel maker industry on barrels in general.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without verification with a bore scope its all speculation.

The foam bore cleaner that you praise is confirmation....marketing B.S.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Without verification with a bore scope its all speculation.

The foam bore cleaner that you praise is confirmation....marketing B.S.

Yes I agree.