New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning lead from a 22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a nice used Kimber .22 Superamerica. Initial shooting tests were less than promising and my borescope shows the bore almost completely badly leaded from end to end. Question is how to get it out. Brush and solvent seems to make slow progress (including the SC lead remover). I know lots of ways to get out copper but this is a new one for me. Anyone have any good ideas?

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a old brush wrapped with a good patch and try some USP borepaste, or JB paste.....some have good luck with Black Powder gun cleaning gel and let it sit overnight and then scrub with a firm fitting patch....be sure to use a wrap or pierce type jag with a good thick double napped patch for use with the gel or thin bore cleaner.....just keep at it untill you get a visual clean and "feel" with a lubed patch for rough/dirty spots hth..good luck and good shooting!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Simple Green, I know several airgun shooters that use it with great results. They simply pull a patch/piece of diaper through the bore that is soaked with Simple Green at full strength several times, and say it gets lead out well.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brush with Kroil and it works pretty good.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one situation when it pays to clean from the muzzle, the opposite way to the lead being laid down. Tried this several years ago and had long skinny slivers of lead pushed out ahead of the jag.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WipeOut works extremely well on lead fouling in an overnight cleaning. I had a muzzleloader barrel that was severely leaded from shooting hot loads of 777 and all lead powerbelts, tried all the usual suspects with not much success. I have WipeOut, but it says on the can it won't work on lead. But on their web site, it states that it works on the alloys in lead and will help get it out. Tried it, and got flakes of lead out, one more overnight and the barrel was clean, no brushing, just patches.

Tim

http://www.paulcousa.com/wipeout.htm

quote:
SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL SHOOTERS SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS.

We specifically state that Wipe-out does not dissolve lead. Most chemicals that dissolve lead produce a galvanic reaction. This reaction in effect acts like a battery. In most cases it will etch steel ( both stainless and carbon steel). It is for this reason that we don't use chemicals that specifically work on lead.

We use chemicals that will dissolve the other metals ( tin , antimony, zinc, etc.) that are incorporated in most bullet alloys. So we work to destroy the integrity of the bullet alloy, and it begins to come apart in small black flakes. This process takes about 24 to 36 hours.

So while Wipe-Outâ„¢ does not dissolve lead , it will degrade the alloy so that it can be pushed out with a tight patch.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem with a 22 pistol after 2,000 rounds in 1-weekend.

Chore-boy copper pad marterial on the end of a loose fitting jag + lots of Kroil.. (don't use the stuff with soap cake in it) and NOT steel wool...

You can actually feel it cutting -- lead comes out in chips and flakes.

After which.... it is a good idea to figure out what caused the leading.... with 22's leading usually = mechanical problem in the gun..... unless you go nuts like we did or shoot some of the ancient rosin-lubed 22 ammo (which we also did)....

Best regards

John

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Truck John,

How old was that rosin lubed 22 ammo? I remember my dad telling me about that stuff when I was small.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote