New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought some of this stuff. Any idea how much I should use. I was planning on holding the gun, bore down, and spraying the stuff in, but have no idea how much! Should I spray until it comes out of the bore?
I have been using the liquid (Sweets etc.) until now.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Peter

You have to get inventive. Cradle your rifle at an angle (crown downhill) and shoot the foam down a tube fitted to the spray nozzle, surrounded by paper towel/patches. Do one "pfft" / short burst at a time with something catching what comes out the muzzle. When you see foam and blue dripping, stop and let it sit. Push it all out with a patched plastic brush/jag and carry on cleaning. YMMV.
I gave up on the mess and use KG products now...

2 cents

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put your rifle in a cradle.squirt from action towards muzzle.Place an empty 600 ml water or soda bottle over the end of muzzle.This will catch the excess foam and avoid a mess should you be heavy handed.
Keep doing small squirts until foam comes out of muzzle.
remove the gunslick after a few seconds and slide in its place rifles bore guide.This will stop any foam from getting into the magazine etc.Tilt the barrel slightly down so that it drains into the bottle on the muzzle.
Remove the bottle when you are ready to patch out.I place a small bucket under the muzzle when I patch out so the patches and solvent dont make a mess of my bench.
Easy and mess free way to use foam bore cleaner
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a piece of tubing or the correct size and length to add to the nozzle to apply from the chamber end, a plastic pop bottle on the muzzle to catch any overflow which can be used later on patch or brush.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! I used it on 3 Blaser barrels and a Rem 700HB in 308. Seemed to work fine. I am not sure of a cost/benefit analysis of this stuff as compared with say Sweets. I guess I will find out how long the 4 oz. can lasts!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm weird... I put the rifle in the vise barrel tilted down. Then I take the end of the wipe out can and put it in the crown of the rifle. I squirt two puffs and the remove the can and plug the crown with my finger. As the foam expands I look into the chamber area and wait for the foam. Once I see it I remove my finger from the crown which will stop the foam from pushing into the action. I have a small trash can that catches the little bit of overflow out of the barrel. The trick is to time the squirts of foam.. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
After several attempts with various Carbon/Copper/fouling removers and lots of work, I tried Wipe Out in both my Savage rifles and my M 03 .308 barrel.
Simply cleaned all three! Even patches with other products failed to detect and traces of remains.

Thanks Jeffe for reminding me that simple is better!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm like BNagel. After I got back from a safari, I used Gunslick foaming bore cleaner on my .300 Win Mag. It foamed, blue stuff ran out of the barrel and after about three applications of the stuff, I was running clean patches.

Then I got turned on to KG gun cleaning products. Just for grins and giggles, I tried it on my "clean" .300. I was appalled at the amount of gunk and grunge that came out of a supposedly clean rifle.

So for me, it's KG only for my guns.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I put a rifle in a bench vise crown slightly down and shoot the foam in the chamber side till it runs out into a empty plastic bottle.

I let it sit as long as I can (at least 15 min) then run a brush through it it 4 or 5 passes....never pulling it back, only pushing it out.

Follow by patch after patch till dry.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote