New
Find
Notify
Tools

old west cleaning materials
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what was commonly used in the old west for cleaning their weapons. boiling water/ kerosene. any ideas

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For military weapons, the TMs of the 19th century say to use water, one gill, warm if available, followed by sperm oil.
For weapons in the hands of civilians, I have never seen any period reference to it.

Posts: 17040 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the British Army in WWII the rifle was pulled through (thats a type of old time Bore Snake) daily. Water on active service if none was available except in a man's water bottle was too precious for pouring down rifle barrels.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have read anecdotal reports of the old buffalo hunters urinating down their barrels.......hey, warm (mostly) water down the bore Whistling

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably what was available. We're spoiled now.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Redstone, I have read the very same thing. Easy to do, too, thanks to that handy fluid applicator!

Eeker hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16299 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Redstone, I have read the very same thing. Easy to do, too, thanks to that handy fluid applicator!

Eeker hilbily

and it came in various sizes too!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even today their is no better bore cleaner than hot soapy water with a boiling hot rinse..then oil the bore when dry and drying time is only a few minutes with hot boiling water and the metal is hot and "pores open" so they tell me...

The buffalo hunter pissed on the bores or barrels to cool them off not clean them, a bore could get pretty hot shoot buff by the hundreds at one stand.Can you imagine the smell of burning piss, its bad..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even today their is no better bore cleaner than hot soapy water with a boiling hot rinse..then oil the bore when dry and drying time is only a few minutes with hot boiling water and the metal is hot and "pores open" so they tell me...

That's how I clean my black powder rifles. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Eeker hilbily

According to Karamojo Bell or was it J A Hunter, that handy applicator and fluid worked very well for flushing eyes of a spitting cobra's venom. The bush pygmies used it, the original pissing match no doubt. dancing

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A coffee can of hot scalding soapy water, stick the barrel down in the water and using a rod with a snug patch pull the water up and down in the boore and can and will it ever get gunky...patch dry and then do the same with clean scalding water to get the soap out of the bore, hot water dries almost immediately, and be carefull as the barrel gets hotter n hell, then run a dry patch a time or two and oil the bore, works great on black powder guns as well as smokeless powder and copper wash, it cleans it all..Its as good or better than any product, a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot more trouble also.. animal

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
Have read anecdotal reports of the old buffalo hunters urinating down their barrels.......hey, warm (mostly) water down the bore Whistling

Do you suppose some one was implying that the buff hunters were member of the"Needle Dick Bug Fugger"club?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if any of the old buffalo hunters ever had accidental discharge while pissing down the barrel.
Boom... oops.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No joke, if finned by a fish, piss on it---the finned part, not the fish, and you have instant relief. It works.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
No joke, if finned by a fish, piss on it---the finned part, not the fish, and you have instant relief. It works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...gums%2C%20with%20one's%20own%20urine.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think peeing down the bore of a firearm to clean it would be about the worst thing you could do.
Urine contains urea, chloride and potassium ions. Highly corrosive. Why do you think public restrooms look like they do.

Posts: 3651 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bobster your mistaken, thats the recipe for a Tequilla Almendrado.. jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a crack German mountain unit in WW2 that were almost executed. Their barrels were in better shape then the usual soldiers corroded barrels. They had to show how they pissed down the barrels to counter the corrosive ammo, and clean them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That rumer has nada to do with cleaning is was too cool red hot barrels that fired before the action got closed so they pissed on the outside mostly but some down the barrel, the old timers cleaned with grays or handmade soap and water each evening..Those old buff hunters smelled pretty rank Im bett'en..like frying piss or cooking bull elk in the rut, they too smell damn nasty..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120