Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Rod Rack - Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks:

I have about 7 Dewey cleaning rods to cater for the different calibers that I own. Would love to purchase a wall mountable cleaning rod rack. Saw one on Midwayusa and one on Brownells's. Any suggestions, practical experience with either or alternates?

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't have any practical experence, but would a fishing pole holder ( like a very small horizontal rifle rack ) work? They have little clips to hold the fishing poles might work for cleaning rods too, just a thought....lost

Posts: 11 | Location: N.C. | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well lostchild has a great idea, head over to your local boating or fishing joint and look for a set of the Berkly Rod holders. They have a moulded plastic frame and the spongy inserts between the notches that should work fine.

Or, simply get you a nice piece of wood 1x2 however long you feel you need, then head over to your local hardware store and pick up a couple of packs of eye hooks that are about the size of the silver ring there on the handle of your rods. Might have to open them up or squeeze them in a bit with a pair of needle nose pliars to get a good fit. Screw them into the 1' side of the wood strip, however far apart for ease of use. Drill a couple of holes in the ends about 1" back to keep it from splitting and screw the board to the wall.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have a board on the wall with cup hooks that the rods hang from. Shelf has,(along with solvents and oils) suficient auto shop 5 compartment clear boxes (7in x 4in x 1 1/2in) that hold bronze and nylon brushes, jags,bore mops and plenty of patches and with each box labeled for each caliber, all the cleaning gear is at hand and easily axcessible.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
easy to protect. 2 boards w/ holes in them and then put a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe between. the pipe protects the rods should something slam against them

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use the black, I believe the brand is Tipton ones at Midway. I have about 6 of them all end to end and have about 25-30 rods on them. Inexpensive and they work. Not real fancy or anything.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I have a piece of pegboard on the back of my reloading bench and use hooks to organize all sorts of tools, cleaning rods included.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's the fishing rod holders I use. Mounted both on a wall and holds 8 rods horizontally.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...asJS=true&hasJS=true

"Be who you are, say what you think, people that matter don't care, and people that care don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 8 | Location: Hills of Mississippi | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juggernaut76:
I have a piece of pegboard on the back of my reloading bench and use hooks to organize all sorts of tools, cleaning rods included.

that photo has to be the day after you built your reloading bench!! no matter how big I build them in a week all available space is covered

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
holly hell! Nice station!
Eeker
I use peg bord my self but damn man you gone out did me 10 fold! pissers

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two racks that each hold six rods in a vertical position. It's from Midway. I like the small space it takes up inside closet doors but I have noticed the middle of the rack is starting to sag under the weight of the rods. It is still however functional. I've had it about three years.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an eight-foot piece of 4-inch PVC (maybe it's ABS) sewer pipe and the various caps and plugs to make my cleaning rod case. I have one for my 44-inch .30-cal rods and used the shorter piece for my 36-inch .22-cal rods. Very convenient...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aluminum angle (1 1/2 or 2 in. wide) from Lowes. Comes is 3 differnt lengths. Easy to drill, mount and round the edges. It is inexpensive to make and looks great.

Learn from Yesterday
Live in Today
Live for Tomorrow!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Like Von Gruff, I used cup hooks. Just screw them in and leave the hook part horizontal so it is like a ring the rod can slide down into, except it is open in the back so you can just slip them in from the back and they hang vertically.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I made my own from a piece of hardwood. It holds 3 rods( I need one with more capacity). First step was to cut a piece of wood about 2 1/2"wide x 9" long. Two small holes at end to mount to door when finished( drilled through narrow edge of board). Then using a Forster drill bit( a bit that drills a flat bottom hole) the same size as diameter of cleaning rod hand, drill about 2/3's through wide side of board, so edge of hole is about 1/8" back from edge. Next drill on through these larger holes with a bit just a little larger than the actual rod diameter. Last cut a slot into the hole for the rod to slip into these holes, and slip down into recess made by the larger bit.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Like Von Gruff, I used cup hooks. Just screw them in and leave the hook part horizontal so it is like a ring the rod can slide down into, except it is open in the back so you can just slip them in from the back and they hang vertically.

Simple things work best.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simplest solution yet, I just drill holes in the countertop on my reloading bench and stick the cleaning rods down the holes. ( hint make sure the holes are smaller in diameter than than the diameter of your cleaning rod handles!)

Posts: 91 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalbrecht:
Simplest solution yet, I just drill holes in the countertop on my reloading bench and stick the cleaning rods down the holes. ( hint make sure the holes are smaller in diameter than than the diameter of your cleaning rod handles!)

I was thinking on that idea, sounds wicked good. Wink thanks! That will make life much easier

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a 2 piece fishing pole rack at a Kmart last year for $8. Works great keeps my cleaning rods and a spare fly pole out of the way yet easy to grab when needed.

Ted

Posts: 142 | Location: Ventura county California | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this problem in my shop. what about hanging the rod from the celing by the threads [handle down] if I drilled a pice of flatstock steel, plastic and thread it to match my Dewey rods 6" long will maybe hold 4 rods I will make a few anyone who would like to try it call me @260-782-0735 i'll make them free for the first 10 to try. thanks eric sinclair

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Proplinker I would hesitate to do it this way only because I am notoriously clumsy and would inevitably knock something against one (or all) of the rods and bend it at the thread/rod junction. For me this would ruin a good rod.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by proplinker:
I have been thinking about this problem in my shop. what about hanging the rod from the celing by the threads [handle down] if I drilled a pice of flatstock steel, plastic and thread it to match my Dewey rods 6" long will maybe hold 4 rods I will make a few anyone who would like to try it call me @260-782-0735 i'll make them free for the first 10 to try. thanks eric sinclair

Hey Eric, after you get the first one done, take some photos of it. After looking I d be more willing to tell you if i d go for it.
Keep up the good work!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
The rack from Midway is cheap enough and works well. It is what I use.

The Berkeley fishing rod rack idea is a close second, although solvents spilled/splashed on the foam may dissolve it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Two pieces of 3/4" ply, four screws, some wood stain & a couple of sizes of drill bit produced a good looking rack for my cleaning rods.
I flat out refuse to buy what I can make.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I made up my cleaning rod rack with sections of PVC tubing.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Andre pointed out, the PVC tubing works well.
With some T's, 90's, etc., glue and little imagination you can make a carrier for more than one rod to be taken to the range, or attached to your truck topper, inside auto trunk lid, etc.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote