Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning rust on the barrels?
 Login/Join

posted
What the best cleaner for removing rust from the outside of the barrels? That won't kill the bluing? And the brush to take it off?

Posts: 20 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rub it lightly with 0000 steel wool saturated with a light gun oil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the thought of using steel wool on blued steel freaks you out, use bronze wool and oil. Works great!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I think I need a bale of bronze wool ! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bronze wool

thumb

If you don't need enough to re-blue your firearm; just enough to smarten up a fingerprint or small patch try a Brass/Bronze bore brush saoked in CLP or similar.

Usually a coupla light swipes or brushing with one will take off issues not requiring a trip to a gunsmith for a complete re-blueing.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone ever tried the old gun show rust remover a stainless steel chore girl pot scrubber look in the houseware dept of your grocery the finer the better just be sure it is stainless I have not had it bother the blue but it will remove surface rust

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Considering how cases leave brass streaks on loading gates and what not, won't bronze wool leave some color too? Just curious; Ihave very good luck with steel wool, oil and a light touch.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote