Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading/Cleaning bench
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Roaddog
posted
What's the best finish for a wood cleaning bench to make it resistant to solvents?

Molon Labe!
NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 74 | Location: Somewhere between South Dakota and Arizona | Registered: 01 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my benchtops, I use a clear polyurethane varnish intended for wooden floors and stairs. It is extremely durable mechanically. I do not know how well it will withstand prolonged exposure to oils and solvents; I usually mop up any spilled fluids when I am done using them and I never had a problem with them damaging the varnish.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. My bench was built more than 40 years ago, was taken apart and moved once and is still intact, having resisted spillings of all possible fluids, oils, solvents.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put down a sheet of MDF and then paint it with "floor and porch" paint. If it ever gets ruined I can take the MDF off and replace it cheaply. My benches here at work are subject to cleaners, solvents and acids daily and I have yet to replace a top.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the epoxy based finishes should be pretty impervious to solvents.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel or formica makes a nice solvent resistant finish. (Sorry.)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote