THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning patches, what Dewey says.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On my new Dewey rod there is a factory note suggesting cleaning patches be speared OFF-center for best results, so I tried it and this is true.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Ray
Only because of the busines I'm in and the percentage of anal retentives I bump into. I have visions of people drawing lines from one corner to another to find exact center, on every patch in a sack of 1,000.
I like the jags that rap the patch around the jag. Seems to give me more surface exposed to the barrel.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make a little tray, like a photographic slide tray, for each size patch. In each end I drill a small hole at the exact center. Then I use a fine knitting needle, sharpened, of course. Load the patches then pierce with the needle all the way through the tray. Now your patches are all ready. By the way, Arkypete, what business are you in? It sounds like fun.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that if you have a real hard time pushing a patch down your barrel, just put the patch off center and it will push thru easier

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mm mashburn:
I have found that if you have a real hard time pushing a patch down your barrel, just put the patch off center and it will push thru easier

do you know why that is mate?

its happened to me and the only reason i can come up with is, if your using a big peice of cloth.that 4x2 cloth, i split it down the middle so i have 2x2, twice as many patches and you dont jam them either.

anyway if you use them as 4x2, each end of the patch goes over the end of the jag and touches the cleaning rod, usually the cleaning rod has a larger diameter than the jag so its more likely to jam + it folds over more at the ends of the cloth too.

ah i know what i want to say but i cant expain it well.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me Paul.

With different calibres and different style jags etc. I'm always cutting a particular size patch off a roll of cloth.
One gun even gets toot paper. Eeker

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Makes sense to me Paul.

With different calibres and different style jags etc. I'm always cutting a particular size patch off a roll of cloth.
One gun even gets toot paper. Eeker

haha oh my.
i use handy towel paper in the 303 and it works well, but in my new 300wsm i only use cloth as the handy towel paper is a little abrasive. i just used to cut them up into 1x1 inchsquares or maybe its 2x2, probably 2x2inch. they are cheap, and when you are using solvent im sure MORE goes in the barrel than when you use cloth patches (the cloth absorbs most of the solvent itself).

although you cant use handy towel with a jag that has a point on the end because it just tears it, but i used my brothers jag that has had the point broken off it and it worked perfectly.

i also think that cloth picks up more rubbish out of the barrel, but in saying that handy towel paper is abrasive so maybe it picks up fouling better. hhmmmm....... Confused

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
It sounds like fun.

Art restoration, specializing in oils.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
On my new Dewey rod there is a factory note suggesting cleaning patches be speared OFF-center for best results, so I tried it and this is true.

Ray, results are better in what regard? Better cleaning somehow?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoother entry.......

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Smoother entry.......

...And we're all for that!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
jumping

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Parker Hale disign jag for wrapping the patch.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tech rep at Sinclair (Indiana) told me to spear the patches off center when they are hard to push and also to carry more fluid when coating the bore.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up on the jags. I now wrap the patch around a nylon bore brush.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote