New
Find
Notify
Tools

bore guide question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guy's.....I have a Ruger rifle in .458 Lott. The closest bore guide I could find in the size I needed was .27 to .416. Getting patches that fit tight in the bore and a brush through the guide made it a bummer to use. Could someone tell me if their's one made for that caliber, and if so, were to purchase it?

Thanks....Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my Ruger Lott and CZ Lott I use a Remington muzzle loader bore guide.I am surprised at how well it works.It works better than any other bore guide I have.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You can also get proper bore guides from Sinclair:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/newsletters/99a3.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair doesn't have bore guides for the Lott.I have Sinclair bore guides for my other rifles.The muzzle rifle bore guide works better.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Sinclair will custom-make bore guides to almost any dimension.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called and asked them if they do and they said they could not because their machines are not capable of machining to such a diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway....I have looked high an low for the Remington muzzle loader bore guide you mentioned, but can not find one.Is it made by Remington, or, used on a Rem. muzzle loaders?

Wink...... I called Sinclair....They said the biggest caliber they make a guide for is .416. Also, beings the .458 has no neck, and the body of the case is almost the same size from head too mouth, they have know way of using an o ring.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just use a bit of garden hose. you only use a bore guide to keep solvents out of your action. and hence bedding and trigger. helps bore alignment a little but thats minor

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,it came with the muzzle loader when I bought it.It has threads on one end that screw on the inside of the barrel.It fits perfectly in the Ruger and CZ and doesn't come off when I clean the rifle.I don't know where you could buy one.Try calling Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for Possum Hollow products.com They will make you a guide just for the Lott, or any rifle.

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I took a case and drilled out the base to internals case diameter then turned down the rim to except a length of aluminiun tube that had similar Internal dia to the case. Because I was making mine for the 404 I cut the case neck of at the shoulder junction and have a perfect bore guide. I like the fact that the alluminiun tube I D is so much bigger than the rod as by centering the rod in the rear of the tube by eye it cant induce a flex and I find I push straighter. On some of the smaller calibers I had a brass centering piece that fit on the rod and centered it in the guide but if you dont push the rod straight you can still flex the rod and rub against the side of the bore. I threw all the centering pieces away

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a drilled-out case and threaded an aluminum arrow shaft into the case. Worked well.

I can't imagine shooting a 458 Lott enough to have to worry about cleaning it so much that you would damage the bore Smiler

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the last two post! You already have a bore guide in your possession. Take an empty case and cut the head off. Then polish the burrs off to your satisfaction. That's the best bore guide yet! Truthfully, on 375 calibers and up, if you use a cleaning rod of .222 diameter or whatever they are, I don't think you could possibly do much damage to the lands since you are starting out a half mile away from them with the 375" plus jag. The only purpose a bore guide would serve is to keep the juices out of the chamber/magazine.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I would call Mike Lucas and see if he can/will make one for you.

Bob

Order from:
Mike Lucas
phone: (803) 356-0282 (7 days a week, 8am to 8pm EST)
225 Browns River Road
Lexington, SC 29072
email: lucasmjb@nuvox.net

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possum Hollow products. Tell Eric you want a "long" cut guide. The RSM has a longer action.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote