Notify
Tools

Gun vise - any thoughts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting this

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...dEAQYASABEgI_0PD_BwE

Anyone own or use it ? Any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We do not have a dedicated gun vice.

We use normal vices for other purposes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a regular bench vise with leather padded jaws.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I f I were to buy one I'd probably go with something like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...tipton-best-gun-vise

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I f I were to buy one I'd probably go with something like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...tipton-best-gun-vise

i got this one too. for cleaning and inletting and bedding etc it works good, having inletted and bedded exactly one rifle so far with it. lots of cleaning. and 2 scope mount jobs. but i wouldn't use for a job requiring beating on a part to get it off or ?? its great for what its intended for.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For long gun cleaning I haven't seen or used a better vise than the Tipton Best Gun Vise. For working on guns I have an adjustable Parrot vise with leather covers glued to the jaw faces. There may be better vises on the market but not for the money I spent for it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mine

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
I use a regular bench vise with leather padded jaws.

This, only I use hard rubber vise pads. Snug it just enough to hold the gun securely for cleaning.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1088 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a custom Keesy Kimbal vice..Gun Smith Jim Brockman, Windell Id. had a number of them at one time, well designed for the custom gun builder and can be positioned, corner rounded an pretty well designed for the gunsmith..Keesey was from alpine, Tex. close to my home and a good friend and he was a guild member. He passed some years ago. A great gunsmith. He designed these vices for gunwork, and they can be move to many positions and come with protected jaws, that last forever.

I also have a couple of bench vises..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote