Notify
Tools

Chamber Cu fouling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Folks

Strictly on one rifle, a .280 Remington BDL, I cannot by usual cleaning approaches get the chamber clean at the point where the bullet contacts the sides of the barrel. That includes Wipeout. Any tricks focusing on the very first part of the barrel? (BTW, it shoots fine, just kinda tight when chambering rounds.)

BNagel

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try JB's bore paste

one of us
posted Hide Post
there is a secret to cleaning and it involves jb

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that. I need info from someone who had a similar problem and found a solution. Again, the bullets chamber tightly, taking marks like when you "find" the lands with a new loads (determining maximum OAL).

This is not run-of-the-mill because I have no similar problem with approaching ten total reloaded-for rifles. I need something like the "Chamber fouling" thread suggests.

Perhaps I just have a rougher than usual throat area on the .280 which JB and the like are not designed to fix. Wipeout concentrated (in some way) in just that part of the bore may be what I'll try next.

Thanks for playing, though!

BNagel

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting resized cases? How are you useing the JB?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should take it to a good smith, and have him look in the chamber.....sounds like like something is in the throat left over from the reamer.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
First and foremost have the throat examined by a gunsmith with a bore scope. After that exam you will know what you have to do. Fire lapping comes to mind.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Clarification -

This rifle has had 1000 or so rounds through it, so I believe this is strictly a cleaning issue. I need a method for concentrated cleaning at the throat, not just to rehash general cleaning protocols y'all use.

The Bore Tech Eliminator thread has me thinking -- carbon "brown" fouling at the throat that even J-B won't cut could be why bullets fit tight now (which they never did when the barrel was brand new). Again, I have tried scrubbing with J-B, bore mop + patch, Sweet's w/ nylon brush, Wipe-out, etc. already. I am avoiding Outer's FoulOut because the overall barrel cleans well; just the throat area is tight, indicating need for focused / spot cleaning. Guess I'll get some BT Eliminator from Sinclair...

BNagel

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
BNagel, please keep us informed as to the progress and cure for this fouling. Thank you.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could your problem be layered fouling? That is copper over carbon over copper over carbon etc. etc. etc. ....
That I know of no solvent based cleaner works well on both copper and carbon. And the abrasive based cleaners don't work much better on the very hard crust of fouling at the throat.
This project will take many hours/days of scrubbing. Alternate the abrasive cleaners, the copper solvents and the carbon solvents. It took a long time to build up and will take time and elbow grease to remove. Be patient be persistent and be careful.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
308Sako, muck, et al.

Bore Tech Eliminator acquired. Will try it out (soon as I get over walking pneumonia that is) and report back.

Cheers!
BNagel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Wipe-Out overnight....it's worked on some pretty nasty stuff....i.e. Barnes for me before. Just might take a couple of overnight treatments.
Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Garby

Okay, now I have to figure how to get the foam to stay, with the barrel/throat "full" overnight, after plugging @ crown.

Incidentally, tried the Bore Tech Eliminator once (despite the walking pneumonia) thus :

(a) chamber mop wetting throat area,
(b) nylon brush (pistol up to .45 cal style) scrubbing of throat, followed by
(c) nylon brushing with BTE of entire barrel, then KROIL, then S.C. and finally oil to check for crud release -- there was plenty!

Found a lot of crud cut loose but the bullets still rub. Think I have powder + Cu fouling in layers, so maybe the two o'nite soaks with foam are next in order. I'll still revisit the BTE effort and so on after recovery. I still like the idea of having a liquid rather than messy foam to work with.

BNagel

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
(music) "I got the walking pneumonia and the boogy woogy blues" (end music). Okay, that's the prednisone talking. Sorry. But, since I am wired -- takes Ambien to sleep -- more results below:

1. Soaked barrel plugged with EAR / foam plug, barrel down, topping off Outer's "Wipeout" foam every so often to keep it in throat area. After all afternoon and well towards midnite, only slightly blue stuff pushed out of barrel.

2. Found after KROIL cleanout that bullets still "stick" to sides of throat, so...

3. Proceded with J-B short-stroked through first third of throat/barrel @ 100 strokes, patched out with KROIL followed by BTE [wet bore, mop throat area + use nylon pistol brush to scrub throat area, then patch out].

4. After doing step 3 three times, marking on bullets is perhaps a 1/4 of what it once was!

I'm excited, and not just due to med's! Guess it is layered fouling after all. But, after getting back to "clean" I'm thinking of going to WipeOut for the occassional Cu cleanout, reserving the J-B --> BTE treatment for serious cleaning.

BNagel

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Day Three ends it. Basically another two rounds of SC, then Kroil, then J-B followed by BTE and final clean-up with Kroil yields a squeaky-slean, shiny chamber/throat/barrel. Bullets no longer rub the sides of throat upon chambering. I'm done.

BNagel

one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats. I told you that all it would take is persistence, patients, and elbow grease.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats a "Cu" ?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cu is the chemistry element symbol for copper.I don't know how it can possibly get into the chamber and cause fouling.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
muck

You rock! Plus, I've decided the .280 (like my wife's 6mm Remington) has a tight chamber.

I enjoyed the pointer(s) from all the cleaning threads, and AR remains a truly unique resource.

Thanks to all of y'all [Texas plural of y'all, for Canadians and anyone else who needs to know]

BNagel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, Thanks . Thought he was useing a slang term for the throat or something.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Cu is the chemistry element symbol for copper.I don't know how it can possibly get into the chamber and cause fouling.

shootaway Good point. The fouling wasn't in the "chamber" proper, but the lead or throat. The fouling was impinging on the bullet not the case. That does not preclude carbon/powder fouling build up in the chamber itself.

muck