New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust under the grips of 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings, after more than 20 years in storage, I removed the grips from my Cold Gold Cup Commander stainless and found rust under the grips. I have been trying to remove the rust with some degree of success using fine steel wool and Kroil. What oil/grease can I apply on the metal to prevent rust from forming again?
Cheers,
Jess

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wax.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They do make 'stainless steel wool ' which would be better .
wax is good .I used silicone wax but a good preservative wax would be good also .Make sure you use a good bit of wax and perhaps a little filler to help seal it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the words of advice. After removing most of the surface rust, and since the gun is in storage most of the time, I'll just leave the grips off and apply a thin film of RIG grease and store in a Brownells storage bag.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before you quit - get some stainless wool and redo it. regular steel wool will impregnate microscopic fibers in the stainless and then rust. gotta get rid of those fibers

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in the States can one get the appropriate steel wool you described? Although I live in the Philippines, I have relatives in California who can purchase and send the steel wool to me.
Cheers,
Jess

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has stainless steel sponge.
Mcmaster-carr has stainless steel wool pads

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Brownells has stainless steel sponge.
Mcmaster-carr has stainless steel wool pads

Brownells is out of stock right now, but Mcmaster-carr has some. Thanks very much.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Wax is good, but it is just barrier.

If you still want to use wax, but with some benefits, have a look at CorShield® VpCI® 368 Extreme Outdoor Corrosion Inhibitor, or use oil based one: CorShield® VpCI® 369 Wet Film Corrosion Inhibitor and Lubricant

These are industrial/military grade corrosion inhibitors in spray cans.

In USA, you can find it here for example:

oil (will last longer than wax in sheltered conditions): https://www.theruststore.com/C...t-VpCI-369-P158.aspx

wax: https://www.theruststore.com/C...r-VpCI-368-P157.aspx

Here in my country, I can't get the spray form, so I make my own gun oil using some solvent, oil and Cortec 369 concentrate. Sprays are already diluted and ready to use.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where in the States can one get the appropriate steel wool you described

A buddy of mine gets it from a restaurant supply house. It's marketed for restaurants as pot scrubbers. Much cheaper as well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
quote:
Where in the States can one get the appropriate steel wool you described

A buddy of mine gets it from a restaurant supply house. It's marketed for restaurants as pot scrubbers. Much cheaper as well.

Thank you for the heads up on that one.