New
Find
Notify
Tools

CorrosionX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a couple of cans of CorrosionX to spray on some industrial equipment I have and reading the brochure it talks about its ability to protect metal from humidity, even saltwater based on its molecular properties that penetrate...yada..yada....Does anyone use CorrosionX as a protectant for metal parts on guns?

Thanks for any input / advice

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have used my can of the stuff so I am also interested in what others have to say. I have also read Boeshield comes highly rated for firearm metal protection but have not tried that either. Guess I have always trusted a thin film of either RIG gun grease or G96 Gun Treatment but am open to other opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used it for 10-12 years and swear by it. Let me quickly say I do not hunt in the rain. I use it on hand guns as well as hunting rifles and as a storage wipe it never fails. It is also my bore wipe oil. Hard to find from time to time.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used CorrosionX for a few years and I am a believer, it is really good at keeping the rust away from my guns.

I got my first bottle from mr D'Arcy Echols of gun builder fame. This is what he wrote about CorrosioX on his blogg (Phil mentioned in the text is non other than AR's own Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan guide)

"I took a Legend on a Yukon sheep hunt 6 years ago and the Model 70 action was purposely polished to a 400 finish and left in the white. I was testing the protective properties of a lubricant called Corrosion X that was recommended by non other than Phil. This oil was developed as an aircraft lubricant and is now our # 1 go-to gun oil. For 12 days the rifle was pulled in and out of sweat soaked scabbard, drenched with rain, pelted by hale and carried with my grimy hands. This abuse can be tough on any surface finish much less a receiver in the white. I wiped the rifle down every morning before we left camp and every evening when we got back. Laps time per day, 5 total minutes.The Corrosion X kept the action rust free in the areas that I could wipe. The metal under the stock line where I could not wipe did begin growing a very, very fine film of rust in certain small areas. Proving that maintenance in the field is just as important as the coating on the firearm. Having spent more than a few hours in hunting camps I can honestly say I can hardly remember seeing anyone wipe down their rifle after a long hard day on the hill. This disconnect with daily rifle maintenance and how it relates to performance just boggles my mind."

I think you will be pleased if you us CorrosionX on your guns.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good enough for me. As always, Thanks for the input

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started using CorrosionX about 9 years ago. It is a fabulous product. I received my first sample from Mike Tuitt who is an avid shooter and on the board. I don't know if he is the owner or not but he sent samples to some of us in another handloading forum and I was hooked. It is available from Grainger's as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corrosion X was tested here.
We all have our opinions but a well run engineering test is a bit more objective.

Gun products corrosion tests

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Well run engineering test'? According to whom? The author? What are his engineering qualifications? Does he have any qualifications?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As compared to quoting Sherman when it should have been Sheridan?

quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
'Well run engineering test'? According to whom? The author? What are his engineering qualifications? Does he have any qualifications?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Corrosion X is a fantastic product.

For anti corrosion protection, it is one of the best.

Years ago we tested many different oils against corrosion.

I took an old barrel, removed all the bluing from it with sand paper, then cut slight rings around the circumference every 2 inches on the lathe.

I oiled each section with different oils, and left it over night.

The next day, I got some sea water, and soaked tissue paper with it and wrapped each section with this.

I left them until corrosion appeared.

Wax was the best protection, followed by Outer's RUST PREVENT and CorrosionX.

Some oils did not even last one night!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Corrosion X was out performed by a number of other products in the test below. It is tedious to read through but the author included photos of the test specimens at the same point in time.

If anyone has a favorite they can easily duplicate the test using control specimens and pit the best against your favorite.

I could brag about several products but I will not because it would only be a personal anecdote. My climate and air conditioning keeps the relative humidity below 50%. Almost anything works at below 50%.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Corrosion X is a fantastic product.

For anti corrosion protection, it is one of the best.

Years ago we tested many different oils against corrosion.

I took an old barrel, removed all the bluing from it with sand paper, then cut slight rings around the circumference every 2 inches on the lathe.

I oiled each section with different oils, and left it over night.

The next day, I got some sea water, and soaked tissue paper with it and wrapped each section with this.

I left them until corrosion appeared.

Wax was the best protection, followed by Outer's RUST PREVENT and CorrosionX.

Some oils did not even last one night!!