Find
Notify
Tools

My Favorite patches
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
There was a cleaning patch available some years ago marketing under the name Frankford Arsenal Match cleaning patches or something like that... (NOT the current Frankford Arsenal company!)

They had a checkerboard pattern to them and held solvents and removed fouling quite effectively. I used to see them at gunshows and would buy all that was available whenever I found them, but I haven't seen them in over a year, and I'm almost out.

Anyone familiar with these and know of a source?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen those patches in ages. I have a fair amount of patches I got from BW trading (Barnacle Warf) 20+ some years ago.

good luck
Rich

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
US Arsenal Patches
Model 2MP for 2" diameter patches
Leisure Time Marketing
649 D Second St. Pike
Southhampton, PA 18966

is on the last bag I have.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember them and used them..but Im not sure I ever thought about a favorite patch! other than it must be cotton.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
For applying solvent and oil to bores these are better than any patch I've tried: https://www.1967spud.com/shop/...intenance/bore-tips/

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
aS i HAVE SAID BEFORE,kROILL OIL W/FINE GRIT LAPPING POWDER IS THE PERFECRT.sORRY,NEW GLASSES,

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a nylon brush with solvent to clean, a patch is used just to push that stuff out..I always finish with a boresnake.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
VFG cleaning pellets - caliber specific

We have using these for many years, and love them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Those look great Saeed. Do you need a specific Jag for those?
Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Innovative and efficient system cleans rifle and handgun barrels with a minimum of effort and mess. Slip two felt pellets on the cleaning rod adapter, apply your favorite solvent and push through the bore to rapidly scrub out dirt and fouling. Pellets fit snugly to easily follow the rifling for fast, efficient cleaning; as you withdraw the rod, the front pellet falls off while the rear pellet polishes the bore. Lets you apply oil, cleaning solvents, J-B® Bore Cleaner or Moly Bore Paste easily with minimal mess. Plain pellets are made from a highly absorbent, hardened felt; Super Intensive pellets also have interwoven brass fibers for even greater scrubbing action to quickly clean heavily fouled barrels. All require cleaning rod adapter.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut my own from cotton flannel.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Those look great Saeed. Do you need a specific Jag for those?
Thanks

No you don't.

One jag fits all. And the jags have two diameters. The first one is push fit, and the second is screwed on.

That is if you wish to use one just once and drop it off as you pull the rod back, you put it on the first part.

If you wish to use the patches several times by pushing and pulling, it screws on the second diameter.

Very well made and work great.

We have been using them for many years.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years now I have used G.I. surplus .30 cal. cleaning patches wrapping them around a bore brush of a smaller size than the rifle I am cleaning. I use this combination for solvent, oil and cleaning, J-B compound etc.. I also like the felt pellets and have been using them too altough they cost more than patches they do a good job.

Posts: 383 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever's on sale and blue paper shop towels...cut to size and wrapped around a worn nylon brush(start out around 40 cal and keep on trucking as they wear down to 22 or get bent all out of shape...Hey...the bore don't care.) similar to Gunswizard.

A patch will hold a certain amount of gunk and NO MORE, depending on many factors. Blue shop towels and "snakes" do a good job with the first go 'round, soaking up Wipe out/patch out/accelerator and other foamy guck better than cotton patches I think, then I like soft, "hairy" flannel cotton patches as they seem to suck up better than the "hard" military" slightly shiny POS's.

I've tried the felt bobs which can be reused several times but I'm just too cheap to pay the price, but they do work better AFTER cleaning out the big pieces with shop towel patches first, and last much longer that way and DEFINITELY good for oiling after cleaning.

Good Hunting beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Pro-Shot patches and will stick with them.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote