Find
Notify
Tools

Oil/lube for transport?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I apologize if this topic has been overly discussed in the past. SO here goes.... Smiler

Traveling to Africa in a few weeks. Been there over a dozen time, and feel most fortunate to be able to say that. I've never had an issue but got to thinking about the usual drill I go through to prep the guns for the trip, in terms of oil and grease for protection.

What is the recommended gun prep for long airline flights, with being left in rain at some point a real possibility?

What I've done has been a light coating of oil in the bore, and same on the outside. Used to put RIG in the barrels, but stopped for some reason I can't remember.

Admittedly haven't hunted in serious weather, outside of a couple of Alaska hunts in fair weather. Also had a pre-64 Super Grade go astray for a week when coming back from Jo'Burg. American Airlines had it in New York for a week or so, in humid/rainy weather. So what I'v done has worked, but I'm asking for your thoughts. Thanks!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had not heard of this one. Will give it a try.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
I apologize if this topic has been overly discussed in the past. SO here goes.... Smiler

Traveling to Africa in a few weeks. Been there over a dozen time, and feel most fortunate to be able to say that. I've never had an issue but got to thinking about the usual drill I go through to prep the guns for the trip, in terms of oil and grease for protection.

What is the recommended gun prep for long airline flights, with being left in rain at some point a real possibility?

What I've done has been a light coating of oil in the bore, and same on the outside. Used to put RIG in the barrels, but stopped for some reason I can't remember.

Admittedly haven't hunted in serious weather, outside of a couple of Alaska hunts in fair weather. Also had a pre-64 Super Grade go astray for a week when coming back from Jo'Burg. American Airlines had it in New York for a week or so, in humid/rainy weather. So what I'v done has worked, but I'm asking for your thoughts. Thanks!

As I wrote many times here on AR forums:

Use modern vapor corrosion inhibitor, such as Cortec 369. Already available diluted with fine oil in spray cans. There is nothing better to keep your rifle safe in any environment.

You can buy it here for example: https://www.theruststore.com/C...t-VpCI-369-P158.aspx

It will give 3500+ hours salt spray protection for carbon steel.

I use it by myself of course. It got some time my friends realized it is far beyond any commercial gun oil in the terms of protection. My friend tried everything including Eezox, Hornady One Shot HD Extreme or whatever on his old shotgun susceptible to corrosion and every time he got some rust after a week in Oregon forest (rain+snow sometimes, wind). He came back some years ago from hunt and told me: I tried that 369 and I can't find any rust.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
CLP; the only Army approved product for such use, although I will never get to Africa, I have all the guns to do so.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you for sharing your thoughts. I ended up getting the Break Free Collector that rcraig suggested. Leaving Tuesday for Namibia, and I don't expect issues with the guns being handled poorly or getting wet. But you never know...

In the past I used Rig several times. Upon arrival, didn't really like the process of making sure the bore was really, really clean of all the grease. Tried EezOx and didn't like the strong odor. Didn't try again. Have also used RemOil and it's been just fine. Lots of handling by the "staff" at home and abroad tends to diminish the coating of oil on the outside, as best I could tell. Probably the binding of the oil to the metal still provided protection.

Will see how the Collector does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rust protection I use Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade as it is now called.

Posts: 383 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote